Monday, June 17, 2013

Out of Hibernation!

It was a loooong winter. Very long. TOO LONG. But I *think* we might finally be getting some late spring/summery weather around here, and I'm bringing the blog out of hibernation. I'll try to post a couple times a week about what's going on. And a bit of daily dross that might be amusing - I mean I *DO* have teenagers and pets so there's bound to be something.

Like the new banner? I've spring cleaned around here and changed the d├ęcor to match my website. The lovely Kim Killion at Hot Damn Designs did my banner and I did the rest. :)

So what's happened in the last six months? Well, I've had my first book for Harlequin American put through and it'll be out in February, and I've got my proposal on my editor's desk for a continuity series I'm taking part in, again for American which will be out next June. It is going to be a great series and the other authors taking part are lots of fun.

ANNNND I sold my single title series to St. Martins which is GREAT news. HUGE. Fabuloso. I can't wait for this to hit the shelves - which is should, next spring. I worked with my editor on revisions and even though they were intense I can't remember a time when I was more excited to make changes to a book. It was so low stress and awesome. Fingers crossed the changes are what she had in mind! When I sold it, the title was The House on Hideaway Hill. We're making a slight adjustment to that, and I'm just waiting for the final "yes, that's what we're going with" before announcing a new title. Meanwhile, I'm working on Treasure on Lilac Lane, which is book 2 in the series. Fun!

The Rebel Rancher is a finalist in the Booksellers' Best Award - I'm not going to conference this year but my good friend Barb Wallace is going to the reception for me just in case. :)

And in non-writing news, my evil "I have to work while everyone is off this summer" plan involves a tractor for my husband and youth volunteer programs for my kids. I usually try to take time off in the summer because everyone is home but this year it just couldn't happen. Sometimes when opportunity knocks you have to do what you have to do, and I have deadlines. But know when my last deadline is? Next July 1. And then, ladies and germs, I'm GOING ON VACATION. 18 months of straight work deserves a break.

I still plan to enjoy the summer though - everyone needs pool breaks and gardening time and maybe a weekend or two camping. Not to mention the odd supper on the pub patio, know what I mean? We've even put out a small garden this year with tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers and are looking to expand it next year. That's in addition to the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and rhubarb we have (and don't forget the apple trees!). Last night I made rhubarb crisp from our rhubarb and grilled chicken with herbs from my herb garden.

For right now, I'm heading upstairs to look at swapping dressers for my girls as we just got my eldest a new bed. I call it her "big girl bed" which drives her crazy since she's 15. She's getting a double bed rather than the twin one she's had since she was 2. Especially since her younger sister got her double bed last year! It'll be a bit crazy moving everything around, but in the end it'll be great.

Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Donna! Mega congrats on your American going through, your big sale to St. Martins AND the Bookseller's Best final!!! You're on a roll!

    I wish you were going to the conference, but do what you need to do and get the most out of those 'breaks'. I love gardening too :).

    ReplyDelete