Friday, June 21, 2013

Happy Ever Afters

It's Friday. I usually like to clean the house on Friday afternoons so it's ready for the weekend; didn't happen. I wanted to write 10k this week; I managed 8. I bought pizza for supper and somehow my kitchen is STILL a mess. I do, however, have fabulous eyebrows. Tinting and waxing FTW.

Anyway, to bring me back to the title of my blog....

Last weekend the girls and I were going to watch a movie. They were scrolling through the On Demand listings and I don't even remember what the movie was that they mentioned but I vetoed it without blinking an eye. When they asked why, I said that it didn't have a happy ending.

I like happy endings. I like to know that after 2 hours of viewing I'm going to be rewarded with happiness. I like the final taste left in my mouth to be good, not sour or sad. It can be the best movie in the world, but if the ending isn't happy, I feel like I've wasted my time.

Prime example: Partition. I won't spoil the ending, especially if you haven't seen it or want to. But the ending is NOT happy. It's a beautiful story and beautifully shot, but it does not have the Hollywood ending.

I want the Hollywood, Dammit.

I'm the same way with books. Another case in point: I read a book by an author and LOVED it. Really really loved it. But I read her next book and at the end SHE KILLED OFF THE HERO.

The book was so good to that point. They had so earned the happy ending. *my head asplode*

I don't know if we're going to be movie watching this weekend (the weather's pretty nice), but if we do, I guarantee we'll be watching the closing credits with big smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment