Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Homeland... The Newsroom...and good tv

Last night the dh and I watched the latest episode of Homeland. For those of you without super channels etc...let me give you a brief rundown. Homeland is about a soldier who was MIA for 8 years, a prisoner of a terrorist called Abu Nazir. He's rescued and brought home to a hero's welcome...but there are questions. It's not all black and white with this guy.

As the credits rolled after the epi, my husband commented on the strength of the writing. This is big because he NEVER does that. He might say it was a good episode, or how great an actor was, or wonder aloud what might happen next. He even likes The Newsroom which I think is BRILLIANTLY written and has not made that comment. But after last night...yeah. He said the writers really know what they're doing.

*jaw drop*

I LOVE how Brody is both hero and anti-hero. I just watched a clip from the season finale (a couple of weeks away) where Saul (Carrie's mentor) calls her the smartest and dumbest f* person he's ever met. These are messed up people. And the plot just keeps twisting and turning and twisting...Honestly, I know season 1 took home a boat load of Emmys but season 2 is way better than 1 ever was.

This most recent epi was one of a lot of turning points. I don't want to spoil it, but you KNOW it's going to be one of those...okay, let's give these people a really nice, normal moment before we blow things all to hell. Claire Danes as Carrie is beautifully damaged and she does an awesome job playing the part. And Damian Lewis...well hell, I've loved him since he walked on the screen as Dick Winters. He's madly talented - one moment smart, another sexy, and then he'll do this emotions on the knife edge kind of thing that's sort of uncomfortable.

Not to mention Mandy Patinkin and I find I'm really warming up to Rupert Friend.

I was talking to someone the other day about  how The West Wing isn't quite as edgy as The Newsroom and that I think it's part of the "cable" thing happening. Shows like Homeland, The Newsroom, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad... they're too edgy for network tv. There's more latitude with cable, and that's where the cutting edge shows are showing up. It's well worth the extra $16 a month to get those stations and On Demand. Because while I still watch a few regular network shows, I'm finding the strongest writing, the most intriguing characterization and thought provoking stories are happening on cable.

Any of you watch Homeland? Are you loving it as much as I am?

2 comments:

  1. I am! But I think I may be a couple of episodes behind you. (We just saw the one where Carrie was abducted.) Can't miss it. It's the best thing on TV in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the one after that, Fi!

    You would love The Newsroom. A lot of the M&B editors watched it when it was on. We all love it. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    ReplyDelete