Saturday, September 01, 2012

Mincemeat Bars

I love mincemeat, but my family doesn't (except for our youngest). But my mom and my mom in law always send some our way, so I look for ways of using it that doesn't equal "pie".

I had the idea to make Mincemeat Bars for the kids' lunches - they like Mincemeat Cookies as they taste a lot like Hermits.  But I couldn't find a recipe I liked except ones that made them like Date Squares - with the mincemeat in the middle.

So I made up my own.

And tried one warm to make sure it was good. And it WAS! Delicious!

I used applesauce in place of butter or shortening, and added some healthy ingredients so while this is a sweet treat there's good stuff in it too. I'm wrapping them up individually and sticking them in the freezer so I can just pop them into lunch bags. This also makes a HUGE batch.

MINCEMEAT BARS

3 cups mincemeat
2 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Mix together mincemeat, eggs, applesauce, and brown sugar. Add in flour, salt, soda, powder, protein powder and stir to combine. Mix in almonds, flax, and rolled oats.

Turn into a greased 11x14 pan and bake for 1 hour at 350. Or for "thinner" bars, divide between 2 13x9 pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, this looks really good. I was looking for a protein type bar recipe a while back and gave up as the ingredients were a little too weird. This one looks doable. Do your "moms" make the mincemeat themselves? We don't see mincemeat here much except in December. I don't think many people know what to do with it.
    I'm looking forward to Line of Duty and continuing the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S., Here's an easy-to-prepare meal your family might enjoy. I just posted it on my blog. http://christyolesen.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-monday-meal.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my moms make it themselves and the old fashioned way with actual MEAT. It's delish. When you really think about it, it should be yuck but it is so tasty.

    But you could do it with a fruit-based mincemeat as well. One of the ladies at my last church used to make hers with green tomatoes!

    I saw a recipe for granola bars that was really good (I'm going to get it from my friend) that I can pass on. I think if you added protein powder to it, it'd be fine. Maybe not 10 or 12 g of protein, but probably 6-8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever had real mincemeat made with meat. Just the fruit kind. I'm going to have to google it.

    ReplyDelete