Monday, August 27, 2012

The Big 4-0

I realized yesterday that I'd never posted about vacation - probably because I was too busy being ON it, and then even when I wasn't we were still a bit, well, loose with our schedule. Two weeks ago tomorrow I turned 40, and we had friends here from Alberta to help us celebrate.

The last time they were here (a few years ago) it was grey and cold and rainy almost the whole trip. This time the weather was gorgeous, with the exception of the last full day we were all together. That was okay. We chilled in the morning and then our family went to Truro to my husband's graduation from a program he's taken and their family went to the Discovery Center. Afterwards we had lasagna for dinner and made ice cream sundaes. It was a good day.

So basically we spent a week eating too much and lounging by the pool and generally enjoying each other and the sunshine. On the 14th (my birthday), Joyce and I were "dismissed" to the local inn around lunch time where we indulged in a few strawberry coladas and some sweet potato fries while the husband and kids decorated. My mother in law and aunt in law arrived with lobster and wine. We enjoyed the pool and then two other couples joined us for dinner on the deck (chicken wings, salads, burgers and lobster rolls) and cake and fireworks.

It was a fabulous time.

I have worked a little since then, mostly on admin and promotion stuff to clear the decks before everyone goes back to school and the house is my own again for writing stories. The husband went back to work today - a week before the students go back - and the kids go back on the 5th. But I'm gearing up just the same. I've done a lot and on Saturday I was at Prescott House Museum in Starr's Point doing a day long retreat with RWAC chapter members Jennie Marsland and Michelle Helliwell. The weather was stunning and they set us up outside (there were 21 of us, including me) beneath a Japanese Heartnut tree. Being around other writers for a whole day really helped me switch gears from "vacation Donna" into "work Donna" in the nicest way possible - especially when the half-dozen or so of us from RWAC went to the Port Pub after for some down time.

All in all my well has been filled and I'm really looking forward to getting back to work. Good thing too, because my fall is shaping up to be very busy indeed!

Have a wonderful day and come back tomorrow as it is LAUNCH DAY for the next in the First Responders series!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JackieW8:29 PM

    Just wanted to let you know that I finished reading The Rebel Rancher which I won in a contest recently and enjoyed it very much. I'm giving the book to my sister to read as she is a fan of your books too.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abby and Tammy!

    And Jackie - glad you liked it! And glad you're sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete