Sunday, July 01, 2012

Recipe: Easy Summer Dessert

Happy Canada Day! I've been offline quite a bit lately as I ended up with a bout of viral laryngitis, complete with horribly sore throat. I'm on the mend today and just in time as our neighbours are coming over for a holiday barbeque, swim in the pool, and fireworks.

The original plan was to bake a Strawberry Rhubarb pie for dessert, but it was so hot this morning I cringed at the thought of turning on the oven. So instead I made what I call Easy Summer Dessert. My grandmother gave me this recipe, although on my recipe card it says "Lemon Dessert". But it doesn't have to be lemon - you can mix flavours however you want. Here's what you do:

Prepare a graham crumb base and press into a 9x13 pan, or cheat and buy 2 prepared graham crusts. :-)

For the filling: 1 pkg cream cheese, 1 box instant pudding, 1 cup milk.

Mix the filling ingredients in a blender (or with beaters) and spread over graham base. Chill. Serve with whipped cream if you like (and who doesn't like?).

Now, in my Gram's recipe it called for instant lemon pudding. Which these days is hard to find, and a shame because I love lemon. So I bought vanilla, and to give it some jazz I'm going to layer on some fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. You can also use butterscotch or pistachio (the store didn't have pistachio, either, grrrr!).

If you like chocolate, then use oreo crumbs for the base and chocolate pudding in the filling. I nearly did this with Cookies 'n' Cream pudding but opted for the vanilla with berries instead.

What this ends up tasting like is a no-bake cheesecake, and it takes about 5 minutes to whip up. No oven, and really tasty on a hot day.

Now I'm off, because the pool is beckoning - along with a frosty pina colada!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day and thanks for the great recipe. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo your website has a new look. I love it! Happy Canada Day :)

    ReplyDelete