Monday, May 14, 2012

Refilling the well

First up - a few links to see where I am around the web. Today is Male on Monday day at The Pink Heart Society and I'm there with some visual treats in the form of the heroes from my Cadence Creek Cowboys series!

You can also get a glimpse of the genesis of THE LAST REAL COWBOY on the Harlequin Romance Author site.

And finally-  Nas Dean asked me to share what it was like to be a RITA finalist at Romance Book Paradise.

Ok - so back to the title of today's blog which is refilling the well. This past weekend my husband and I took off for a weekend away - something we've never done. Nearly 2 years ago we zipped off to a bed and breakfast for a single night for our 15th anniversary, but we've never gone AWAY away. My awesome niece and her husband came to stay with the kids and pets and on Friday afternoon the mister and I hopped on a plane and jetted off to Niagara Falls!

Neither of us had ever been. It was lovely - the falls are magnificent and the weather was gorgeous. Seasonally the area is a few weeks ahead of us, so the grass is green, the leaves are fully out and the flowers are blooming. It was like summer (in fact the mister wore shorts and a golf shirt and I wore capris and a top and we both got a teensy bit too much sun on our faces)! While the city is very touristy and crowded, the actual falls area is beautiful. Queen Victoria park is across from the walkway and since we ventured out in the morning, there wasn't much traffic and the birds were singing. We got some pictures, wandered from the top of Horseshoe Falls down to catch the Maid of the Mist boat by the US falls. When we were making our way to the boat I couldn't help think of the pictures of Diana with Will and Harry doing this very same tour.


The boat ride is SO worth the $20. You do get very wet. My hair looked like I'd just got out of the shower. Even with the huge ponchos on, you get wet spots (my jacket sleeves were soaked). The views are great and even the husband - who can be a bit curmudgeonly - loved it. :-)

After that we walked back up through Clifton Hill to the hotel. Clifton Hill is...interesting. It reminded me a bit of Times Square in that it is touristy and with tons of souvenir shops. There are haunted houses, Ripley's Believe it or Not, the Guinness Book of Records thing...in Times Square those would be theatres but the overall impression was similar though of course on a smaller scale. A little too bright and noisy for me.

Then we hopped into our rental car and drove out to Niagara on the Lake. Seriously, this is possibly the most beautiful drive I've ever been on. Gorgeous trees and flowers and stately houses. Signs for wineries EVERYWHERE. We went right into the town and had lunch at a little bistro and then drove to Peller Estates for a wine tour and tasting. After that we went to a smaller winery for more tasting and purshasing (I did the tasting, the dh did the driving, he's good like that).  On the way back we stopped by the Centennial Lilac Garden - gorgeous.

After the wine, sun, and wind, we ended up having a nap before going to supper. After supper we walked back to Clifton Hill and took a ride on the SkyWheel, which is sort of like the London Eye only smaller. It was fun, and though it had clouded over the pics aren't bad. My fave might be this one, because as my friend Jenna says, I got photobombed by a t-rex. The mister said it looks like he's getting ready to eat my head.

We took a leisurely drive back to Hamilton in the morning to catch our flight home, and when we got here supper was ready and the girls had made a delicious cake for Mother's Day!

It was good to refill the well. And nice for the two of us to finally get away. And it's equally nice to be home where we belong. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Sounds like a perfect time! Especially the tasting while DH drove ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Niagara Falls ... haven't been there in years ... used to go all the time as a kid. Great pics Donna and glad you got a chance to get away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,
    My husband and I did Niagara-on-the-Lake for our honeymoon with a day in Niagara Falls. It was a blast. I can't remember the name of it, but my favorite thing on the American side of the falls was the huge butterfly conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, you were in my neck of the woods! I grew up in NF and now live about 15 min away in St. Catharines. Glad you enjoyed all the area has to offer. If you are ever down this way again, let me know. My DH is Technical Director at Shaw Festival in NOTL and can usually get cheap (if not free) tickets with a little notice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had this special getting away time together - and from what I remember of Niagara Falls, there's plenty of water there to refill 100 wells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy - Oh my gosh, we drove right through St. Catharines on our way back to Hamilton. Cool...you live in a lovely part of Ontario!

    Thanks Nikki, Shirley, and Jill... and Kate, my well got refilled but I also came back exhausted! LOL! Still, I don't regret a moment of it.

    ReplyDelete