Thursday, May 03, 2012

An embarrassment of riches

I got a call from Detroit last night. My first thought when my friend Patti said she had news was that she'd sold a manuscript she's been waiting on for a long time. My heart gave a little jump as I asked. But that wasn't the news (and I'll confess I was a little disappointed! I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a long time!). Turns out it was good news for me instead.

HOW A COWBOY STOLE HER HEART is also a Booksellers' Best Award finalist.

I am so blown away by the response this book has had on the contest circuit this year - a Reviewer's Choice award and four nominations. I always enter about a half dozen contests, and each year I hope that somehow, between the various contests and entries, I end up making a shortlist. I think contests are a great way to introduce readers, booksellers and peers to your books who maybe haven't tried them before, and if they like them you may gain a new reader. If they really like them, they might spread the word. And if you're fortunate enough to shortlist - wonderful! It's a fantastic thing!

But this year...this book...I'm just overwhelmed. And obviously pleased.

I've been asked a few times why I think THIS particular book has stood out for me. I truly don't know, except that I was willing to take a few emotional risks with this story and maybe those risks have resonated with judges. I do know that I loved Clay and Meg a lot, and hopefully that shone through.

Whatever the reason, I'm thankful and feeling very, very blessed. And a big thank you to all those readers who have taken the time to judge the various contests this year. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hope to see lots of you in California.

Donna xx

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. I loved the characters and their journey in that book.

    ReplyDelete