Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Great, the Good, and the Downright Ugly

This past weekend was a crazy mish mash of eating way too much food, massive amounts of cleaning, doing edits for my August release, and watching a few movies. Today I'm going to chat about the movies because they've been on my mind a lot.

First up is THE HUNGER GAMES! We went on Saturday afternoon and it was everything I hoped it would be. It did feel for a while that they were NEVER going to get to the actual games part, but it didn't matter. I was totally sucked in. I liked Gale, LOVED Katniss, and to my surprise saw Paula Malcomson (DEADWOOD) as Katniss's mom. Josh Hutcherson was great as Peeta, a real blend of innocent boy-next-door and strategist. I liked him better here than in the book, where at times he appeared a bit weak and needy. A key moment to see this was when they arrived in the Capitol and Peeta was waving out the train window. Haymitch made a comment that there was a boy who knew what he was doing.

Speaking of Haymitch - Woody Harrelson was the PERFECT choice IMO. And did I mention Lenny Kravitz as Cinna? AWESOME. I loved him!

And it was brilliant how, after getting to involved with the Peeta/Katniss relationship, at the end we see Katniss see Gale and Prim. I was all...oh yeah. Now I remember why she's torn between Gale and Peeta...



It was just great! Can't wait for the next...

Saturday night the husband and I watched a movie I've wanted to see for some time: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. With a top-notch cast that lists as long as my arm, I thought how could we lose?

It was TERRIBLE. A real snooze fest and it wasn't hard to figure out why. For a spy thriller, it was mostly a bunch of guys sitting around talking about what had happened in the past. Instead of showing things in real time, it was a slow (emphasis on the slow) reveal of something that had already taken place. Nor were there any real stakes for the main character. He didn't stand to lose anything in the end. All that was at stake was the truth. Yawn.

It got a lot of acclaim which I don't quite understand. I've seen it called sharp and intelligent while I found it just...dull. The thing with intellectual films is that I have to actually CARE enough to bother thinking, which I didn't. I didn't give a damn about any character other than Mark Strong's. Which is a shame, because several of the actors are favourites of mine. *prepares for TTSP and LeCarre fan backlash*

Much better believe it or not was PUSS IN BOOTS. Sharp, witty, with a main character out to clear his name AND save the town...plus one-liners that had us giggling. We had a blast.

What movies have you watched lately?


3 comments:

  1. After watching Love and Other Drugs I wanted to watch any movie Anne Hathaway was in. And then I watched One Day. I think I screamed at the TV for 3 minutes asking What was the point?

    But as I've learned to do whenever I rent a movie is to get two. The second one, In Time with Justin Timberlake, made up for that horrid movie. Mainly because I was surprised at how good it was. I didn't hear a lot of fanfare around this movie. Plus when a singer becomes actor...not always a good thing. So I enjoyed the plot, writing and actors.

    I still want my dollar back for One Day though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen The Hunger Games yet but I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your post :) I'm also adding Puss In Boots to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofia - I LOVED Love and Other Drugs! Haven't seen One Day....Or In Time.

    Lacey...SOOOO good. I take it you've read the book?

    ReplyDelete