Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fairy Dust

Sometimes a book happens along that feels like it was sprinkled a bit with fairy dust. HOW A COWBOY STOLE HER HEART was a bit that way. I've said many times how I really wanted to write Clay's story and couldn't find him the right match. And that when I did (clearly it was Megan) it just worked. It was the right time for his HEA.

Maybe it sounds silly because after all these are characters in a book and not real people. But the truth is, you can't just throw two characters into a story and force them to work. So Clay waited, not always patiently.

It was worth the wait both for Clay (lol) and for me as a writer. The book is being very good to me in the contest circuit this year. Today I found out that it is a finalist in the National Reader's Choice Awards - making it a hat trick of nominations this year. It's gratifying and slightly overwhelming in a wonderful way. And it goes to show that a heroine doesn't have to be physically perfect to be awesome.

I also found out that the next Harlequin Romance I write (as soon as I finish my current wip!) will be another Cadence Creek book. I'm excited to dig in as I know what it's about and I think it's going to be great fun. Plus I loved writing the first 2 Cadence Creek books, so going back is lovely!

All in all there's some great Thursday love going around. Including in my #1k1hr group, so I'd better get back to it - I'm so close to THE END it's silly.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I loved How A Cowboy Stole Her Heart! Was Clay a secondary character in another book? I know - shame on me for not knowing!

    I am thrilled to hear about another Cadence Creek story - I just started The Last Real Cowboy (now I'm on chapter 3 - read chap 2 on break).

    MarcieR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay was a secondary in ONE DANCE WITH THE COWBOY. He had a small part but he stuck in my head big time.

    The next Cadence Creek book is going to be SOOOO fun. I have the basic hook and plot, but I'm working out the character stuff. I'm probably going to really get started on it later next week - while my current WIP is out with a reader.

    And thanks Alison and Julie! :-) (Julie was nommed too, you guys!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on all your success. It is true that you can not just force two characters to be together. I have dumped manuscripts after being anywhere between five and eight chapters in, all because I was trying to force a couple to be in love with each other and they just weren't doing it. I know exactly what you mean. They are "real" in a way and they will dig their heels in when you try to force them to do what they don't want to do! Keep up the great work. I love the stories it produces! :)

    ReplyDelete