Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm Cold

It makes no sense. I keep the heat set at 20 degrees celsius. I have on yoga pants and a sweatshirt, socks and slippers. I should NOT be cold.

But from now until about APRIL, I will be cold almost ALL the time. My mother was always cold. Granted, I still find she keeps her house crazy-hot, and I'm not quite at the point where I need a blanket in summer, but I'm starting to understand. I'm not quite 40, so I'm not sure if this is an age thing, a hormone thing, or what. But does it matter? I'm just COLD.

My next knitting pattern is fingerless gloves. I wear slippers or wool socks because the coldest things are my hands and feet. But really, no part of my body is exempt. The tip of my nose is cold. My arms are cold and so is my butt. And right now I've got a blanket around my lower half AND my infrared space heater about 3 ft away (set to 72 fahrenheit).

Just wait until April though. It won't take long for me to start complaining about the heat and humidity. Apparently I only have 2 thermostat levels: ice cube and on fire.

2 comments:

  1. I can soooo relate, Donna. I have been a popsicle for years and actually teased my husband that he would be glad to go to bed with an oven, rather than a freezer, once hot flashes hit. Be careful what you say.... Hot flashes hit beginning last April (a few weeks short of my 52nd birthday), and every 25-35 minutes, 24/7, I heat up like crazy (and lasting about 3-5 minutes each). It's worse when I'm playing badminton five nights a week, as my body is already overheated. I've realized that I am hotter than hot down to my knees, but my calves/feet are still stone cold. Poor circulation? Normal? Don't know. Still haven't hit menopause yet, but at least I know it's on its way. Can't arrive fast enough, though.
    And Donna? I find hot baths help temporarily to warm me up but at least jump start me when necessary.

    ReplyDelete