Friday, January 13, 2012

Fitness Friday: Power 90

Today's program review is going to focus on Beachbody's Power 90 program. Beachbody is the company behind the very popular P90X (which is going to be reviewed probably next week). Power 90 is the predecessor to P90X (which is short for Power 90 Extreme).

When we bought Power 90 it was because both my husband and I wanted to work out but were finding it difficult because he was traveling so much. What attracted us initially was the 30-45 min workouts and the lack of equipment needed - just resistance bands. If I remember correctly, the dvds came with one band, and we ordered another set of 3 of varying resistances. I did some comparison shopping, and nowhere could I find a set of bands as cheaply as I did on their site (and as I mentioned before, or at least I think I did, their bands are great quality. We love them.).

We were clearly out of shape when we started Phase 1-2 as our breath was heaving, sweat was rolling and we thought we might pass out. Basically you alternate a cardio day with a sculpt day, and after 45 days you move up to phase 3-4, which is slightly longer but still easy to follow because for the most part it is adding an extra set to most of the exercises. There's also the Ab Ripper 100 and 200, which is 10 exercises x ten reps for the 100 and 20 reps for the 200.

The bands are easy to travel with and so are the dvds. Tony Horton is my favourite workout leader EVER. I usually laughed a bit, and he is easy to follow. The exercises are not super fancy you must be dancer-like coordinated to do - this is more like boot camp. By the time I was in Phase 3-4, I could run again. I did running club and didn't feel like my lungs were going to explode. I also stopped having the constant hip pain I'd had for a few years, because the exercises support the whole body structure. I was simply amazed.

Tony is very big on a good warm up and cool down as well, which really helps with the soreness. In the corner of your screen is a counter, too, so you can see how much time you have left. And the time flies by while you're doing this workout, thanks to doing repeating sets of various moves.

The program comes with a food guide etc. for those who want nutritional support.

If you're not ready for anything extreme, but you want a good workout without having to have a lot of extra equipment, this is perfect.   While the workouts do get "easier" (you don't feel like you're going to die), you still break a good sweat and your heart gets pumping. Did I lose weight? Yes, not as fast as I'd like but I put that down to diet more than exercise. If I'd been stricter with myself, I probably would have lost more, but while I was doing it my weight did keep creeping downwards.

Definitely a recommended buy.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good!
    Do you think I would like Power90 coming from P90x? Just looking for something different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I was going to touch on this next week. After I did my first round of P90X, I went back and did some Power 90. It was too easy. So I'm not sure you'd like it or if it would give you enough challenge.

    Have you tried Insanity? Also, I'm borrowing TurboJam from someone to try. It looks pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you've convinced me :-D As soon as I finish my current 28 day challenge, I'm going to give this a shot.

    Thanks for the info, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Tawny! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just finishing my Power 90. 90 day challenge and the results have been incredible. I am starting another challenge in February to do Power 90 Master Series before moving onto P90x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dennis, cool! You'll find you're in a good spot for P90X - it really does prepare you, and a lot of the moves seem familiar even if they are different. If you like the kickboxing segment, you'll LOVE the KenPo workout. I also found that the Core workout supported EVERYTHING and was surprised how much I liked Plyo. I thought I'd hate it and it turned out to be one of my favourite workouts!

    ReplyDelete