Tuesday, January 24, 2012

And another one bites the dust...

A few weeks ago my editor phoned to ask if I could do a short special project (more details coming as I have them). What I can tell you is that it's slated for release later this spring, so clearly the timeline for writing it is really short. And because I handed in my last a few weeks before deadline, I had the time to spare (sort of, I just pushed back what I was planning to write by a few weeks).

I finished the first draft today which makes me very happy. However it is pretty rough, so I'm going to be spending the next few days editing. It's missing some anchoring details and a better idea of the heroine's goal when the story starts, and I'm just 75 words shy of my word count target so not a lot of wiggle room.

But the important thing is to have a complete draft, because now I have a whole story to work with and refine.

In other news, I discovered today that I can handle subzero temps and clear sunny days much better than I can handle grey, rainy, dismal days. It's not the temperature but the greyness that is so dispiriting, makes me tired and want to stick my head in a bucket of carbs. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations for getting down the draft so quickly, Donna. And like you I do better when the sun is shining. It's been grey, misty and wet here - it's hard to work up any enthusiasm. I need daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the draft, Donna. I hope the revisions go just as well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to hearing more about the short project. Someday, when you have a little extra time on your hands ;-) , maybe you could discuss the long vs. the short of novel writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if you already have, got a link to it?

      Delete