Sunday, July 31, 2011

End of an era...

We went to see Harry Potter on the weekend as part of the youngest's birthday celebrations. It was, in the words of the eldest, EPIC. Really, really good. As we got to the end I was very clappity in a quiet way of course as I knew what was coming. And my favourite line was when Mrs. Weasley took on Bellatrix and said "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" Mrs. Weasley spent 7 movies being the stable, nurturing one. It was great to see that Mama Bear spirit manifest in a duel. Wooo!

I really wish Ginny had been drawn with a more colourful brush. Harry LOVES her. And while the story is really about the trio of Harry, Ron and Hermione, Ginny was very, very strong and ends up under the radar. Luna has her quirks to make her stand out. Neville is the underdog we all love. But Ginny is just...Ginny. Which is a shame because she is strong, loyal, brave, and it's got to be hard to love someone as famous and as MARKED as Harry but she does it and without a lot of fuss. My fave scene with her was when Harry returns to Hogwarts and she comes in and they just look at each other across the room. It is a look that says a lot. Ginny never demands, and I love her for it.

I teared up in a few places (and saved the napkins for the eldest who is a crier and did sniffle a bit) but to my surprise the moment I cried - and I still well up - was the moment it cut to the end credits. It was suddenly ALL OVER. All of it. No more stories, no more movies, no more Voldemort.

In a lot of ways we grew up with Harry. I started reading the books to the girls when the youngest started Grade 2 and I didn't worry about them frightening her. We read every word of them OUT LOUD before bed. And as you probably know, the books get longer as Harry gets older.  The girls got older too...and the reading before bed no longer happens. I miss it.

But there was always the movie to look forward to, right? But now it's over and done and when those credits popped up on the screen I had a real moment.

Thank you, JK Rowling, for writing such splendid adventures. And thank God for DVD's. We're already talking about our first HP marathon. :-)

4 comments:

  1. My youngest is the only one of my girls that got into HP--she and her friends feel like they grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione. She has observed more than once that Ginny was an awesome character, until JKR paired her up as Harry's love interest "at which point she became nothing more than his girlfriend." My dd never liked HP that well--she thought he was "too whiny a character" and she far preferred Hermione and Ron. It always fascinates me how some people respond better to one character and other's respond better to another one. The HP books had plenty of characters to love and hate. LOL.

    It is a bit of an end of an era for some, however there will be other young ones introduced to these books for a long time to come. Enjoy your HP marathons and treasure each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, while I'm glad to have watched the movies, it's sad to see it all end. I had big lumps in my throat in certain scenes, too. Over. Finito. Sigh.

    I think I'd like to go back and read the books again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed it too. My favorite part was when Professor McGonagall said "Boom!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well said, Donna. the end of an era. I'm also looking forward to the DVD collection. (well, blu-ray)

    ReplyDelete