Monday, May 09, 2011

I hit the end - and got sick - and got good news

Ok so last week I mentioned I did this "dietary" thing for a few days and it was hugely successful and I also quickly learned why instructions said not to do a normal "heavy" workout. During Friday's run I ran out of gas half way through. Turns out there is possibly another reason for that other than not enough calorie intake before running. Friday night I started getting this horrible sore throat and I was so tired! It ended up being a cold that is still hanging on a bit today. Yesterday the throat was better and just scratchy but my nose was like someone had turned on a faucet. Today so far it's not running quite so much and I'm still a bit scratchy but definitely on the mend. Just in time for a 4k run this afternoon - if the rain lets up.

What else happened on the weekend? Well, I finished the book. I've sent the final chapter and epilogue to my critique partner and hope she doesn't hate it. I am over the 52k mark so I have to be very careful in editing. Some things will need layering and clarifying and the words cut for pace are also going to be employed. But it does feel good to have a complete book to work with.

Saturday afternoon I got a lovely phone call from Patti Schenberger, a friend from the Detroit RWA chapter and coordinator of the Bookseller's Best Awards. HER LONE COWBOY is a finalist and I'm thrilled! But secretly? It was equally as exciting to talk to Patti. We "see" each other on e-mail occasionally but it's been too long since we chatted and I am planning on catching up with her in New York in June.

And of course yesterday was Mother's Day. I got an assortment of homemade cards from the girls and the eldest wrote a lovely poem on hers, and she also bought me a big barrel curling iron (which I know isn't for me as much as it's for me to use to curl HER hair). The dh bought me P90X which I've been wanting for a while and the girls also made breakfast yesterday: turkey bacon, blueberry pancakes and fruit. It was delicious and a great start to the day.

Now I'm off to make some lunch, and then work on editing until it's time for running club. Happy Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Eek. I hope I didn't touch you at RWAC. I've been sick for over a week now and have the same nose thing going on, only mine turned into a sinus infection. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, sounds like you had a real Good News/Bad News weekend. Hope the last of your cold is gone soon.

    I’m curious about those two WIP of 80+k on your sidebar. Who are you targeting with the longer word count? Or is HR upping its word count like HSR did?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing the book! Hope you are feeling better real soon and take it easy on running until you are 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I'm guessing it was just my time.

    Karen - running club was cancelled. I wish I could say I was sorry...but i'm not. Am hoping to still manage to do sculpt with the dh after work today. :-)

    And Christy - Those are single titles, darlin. I started the first and something wasn't quite right and I realized that what I'd planned as book 2 really is book 1, and I got a start on it before I couldn't ignore deadline commitments any longer.

    But once this book goes in, I have a bit of time before the next one is due to really work on it. I'm excited about that!

    As far as targeting - the goal is to write a single title and let my agent do the targeting. :-) And cross my fingers A LOT.

    ReplyDelete