Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Short Days...

I'm head down this morning as there is only a half day of school and my youngest will be home at lunch, to be followed by Parent-Teacher interview #1, and then another Parent-Teacher interview after supper. I have a load of laundry to do in addition to my workout. I need to make the most of my time.

The good news is I've made great progress on the WIP the last 2 weeks. I feel really good about that. In fact, I finished chapter 8 yesterday and realized that as I go into the last 1/4 of the book I need to go back and read what I have so far to make sure I've got things lined up properly. With my last book, my editor asked me to do the AFS at about this point and I did a synopsis, which helped immensely. In the end it didn't finish exactly as I'd planned in the synop, but it only meant a few adjustments. It was great though to put my head in the right spot for finishing. So that's where I am now...with about 3 chapters left to write.

But first...my tummy has some rumbles and is demanding sustenance! I need to scrounge in the cupboard!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Donna! What is AFS? I've never heard this term before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara! AFS stands for Art Fact Sheet. I go into a database where I add in all sorts of info about my characters. Not just the physical characteristics either, but themes, descriptive words (like damaged heroine, protector, that sort of thing), suggest potential cover scenes and add a synopsis. It's actually quite an undertaking. But it does help concentrate your thinking which is kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting and it does sound like a lot of work.

    On another note, I just want to let you know I read Breathe last week and adored it; it made me teary. I am on to The Soldier's Homecoming next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, when it rains with inspiration it really pours. There will inevitably come a time when you need to stop, step back and regroup. All part of the writing process.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara - oooh, thanks for letting me know you read Breathe! I have a soft spot in my heart for that book and it took some work to get it published. I'm so glad I persevered, though. I love Jace and Anna!

    Do let me know how you like The Soldier's Homecoming! It's set in my hometown. :-)

    ReplyDelete