Friday, March 04, 2011

12th Time's the Charm Pineapple Cake

First up: the FINAL chapter of my online read is live at eharlequin! You can read the end or now go and read the entire thing start to finish.

And now...I claim victory over the cake. Here's the story and recipe and I'm going to also post it in the recipes section on my website.

For YEARS I tried recreating my husband’s grandmother’s pineapple cake. There were two major obstacles. One, there was no written down recipe. And two, his grandmother died before we began dating, so the recipe went with her. No matter how I tried, I could NOT get the topping right. It was always too heavy and gloopy and ended up running down the sides of the cake. It wasn’t “light and fluffy like Gram’s”.


Sigh.

I did however discover Debbie Macomber’s recipe pages on her website and in my browsing found a different cake but with a similar topping – fruit and pudding mixed with whipped cream. Could this be the magic solution????

I took the general idea – using dry pudding mix instead of prepared pudding – and began again. And it was delicious. So delicious, I decided to make my *own* pineapple cake recipe – and share it with you. The only change I may make next time is whipping more cream (500 ml/2 cups), as my husband said it was my best yet but that "Gram's top was thicker". LOL. Maybe 13 will be the real lucky number. But it's delicious as is.

Here goes.

1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 can crushed pineapple
1 pkg instant pudding mix
1 cup whipping cream
Sugar and vanilla to taste
Water

Before you begin: strain the pineapple, squeezing as much juice as you can into a glass measuring cup. Add enough water so the liquid measurement is 1 ¼ cups.

Mix yellow cake mix with eggs, oil, and liquid until smooth. Fold in a few tablespoons of pineapple, reserving the rest of the fruit for later.

Bake cake according to directions on the box. I like to make mine in a pretty tube pan, so it takes about 45 minutes.

Turn cake on to a cooling rack and let cool completely (very important!).

Mix dry pudding mix with remaining pineapple until no powder remains. Whip cream, adding sugar and vanilla to taste. Fold pineapple/pudding mix into whipped cream and spread over cake. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That's some serious dedication to the pineapple cake. I bet your husband's grandmother would be proud :) Fingers crossed for number 13!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't expecting a recipe when I stopped by here, but I'm copying this one down to try! It sounds delicious. The closest I've ever made it to a good pineapple cake is my MIL's pineapple upside-down cake recipe, which is basically just a white cake with the pineapple rings, brown sugar and butter mixture baked underneath.

    Now I'm off to check out that final chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete