Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What *IS* it with the world, anyway?

As I was finishing my revisions last night, news started trickling in about the earthquake in Christchurch. I immediately thought of 2 writer friends, Natalie Anderson and Soraya Lane. Nat lives a ways away in another town and Soraya is more rural but both are close enough that without knowing much info it was a worry. Both are fine, their families are fine. Both are understandably devastated about the condition of their beautiful city.

It really made me think. It was only a few weeks ago that our "circle" of writers was worried about Olivia Gates in Egypt. Before that it was Barb Hannay during Cyclone Yasi. And before that, Ally Blake during the flooding in Brisbane.

It kind of freaks me out. The news out of north Africa these days is disturbing and unsettling as things shake down. The world is crazy. I'm not much of a doomsday prophesizer, but more than once I have thought...is there something bigger really going on here?

And then I think maybe no...it's just that we're so connected globally that we KNOW what's going on as it happens.

Either way...I went to bed counting my blessings.

3 comments:

  1. It is scary when you think about it, isn't it, Donna. Sometimes I wonder if the planet isn't purposely spanking our butts. Then again, maybe it's as you say - we see and hear it all so quickly now, it feels overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna ~ Natalie is blogging about this on Tote Bags 'n' Blogs today. She had been in Christchurch just before the quake hit. I think we hear more about all the disturbing news now than we used to. The internet makes chatting with people from other places more likely and thus when disasters strike you do know of someone to worry about. It is so easy to see 25 pictures of the devastation because you can get them with just a click of the mouse. That's one reason I read romance. I need the HEA to counteract all the bad news in the world. Now if only they could tell us about all the good news out there it would be wonderful but happy stories just don't seem to make the news as much unless it's something really dramatic like the Chillean mine rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world is such a small place now, isn't it? and we have so many friends in the romance community. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Christchurch.

    ReplyDelete