Friday, February 18, 2011

#Fridayreads: I'm really sorry...

Revisions came at the end of last week, which means I've been eating and breathing my book and honestly, when I finish I don't want to read. Revisions take a stupidly huge amount of brainpower. So as a result I haven't finished my RITA books yet, though I *am* on the last one.

In lieu of #Fridayreads - and I promise this is the last week! - I'm going to talk about housecleaning.

I cleaned the house last night. I could not stand it any more. I actually HAD to do it rather than revising. I don't generally work at night, but having the house dirty was driving me crazy, and it takes away from my focus. Now I can hear lots of you groaning. OMG, Donna, let it go, you are probably saying. And you see I have let it go. I've done what is for me the bare minimum for the last few weeks (because February is crazy month, remember?). But when I do that there comes a point I can't stand it anymore, and that point was yesterday.

Maybe it was the full moon, I don't know. But I do know that when I'm revising or really close to deadline,  my head is full of the chaos of my book. So to balance that, I need my world to be in order. Clean laundry, vacuumed floors, a decent dusting and fresh toilet is LIBERATING.

I know. I'm weird. But honestly - if it helps me work better...

And look at it this way. Now I don't have to clean on the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I totally get this, Donna. The more out of control my life is, the tidier my house needs to be. Then it becomes an oasis of calm when the story in my head is driving me to distraction, rather than another source of chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fi, that's it exactly. There is only room for so much chaos. It's also a great way to THINK about the story before launching in. Today I feel focused and READY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that time away from the wip when you can give your logical left brain a rest, allows the creative right brain to freewheel, and the story seems to have settled into place when it's time to pick up a pen/sit at the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it impossible to get started on writing of any kind if my office is cluttered, but once I'm in there with the door closed I can forget about the rest of the house! I must be related to the ostrich... if I can't see it, it doesn't exist. LOL. Happy revising.

    ReplyDelete