Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday Question

Next month is the North American release of Proud Rancher, Precious Bundle. This was the first book I sold after a slew of rejections and my editor really got behind it. It was Book of the Month when it released in the UK (Mills and Boon Cherish) and in anticipation if it hitting NA shelves, it is excerpted in the back of Harlequin Series books.

I also had the fab opportunity of writing an online read to go with it, which will be on http://www.eharlequin.com/ beginning on Valentine's Day and I'm really excited that I'm going to be in Toronto at the Harlequin offices on the official release day (that reward for handing in my current WIP, which is why I'll be disappearing in a moment or two).

But my question(s) to you today is about excerpts. Do you read them? Has reading an excerpt prompted you to go buy that book? Has it made you more curious about the author? Has it perhaps prompted you to pick up a book by them when you see it on the shelf (even if it's not the book that was excerpted?)?

Curious minds want to know.

I'm reading a book now and there are such wonderful secondaries that I went to the back to read the excerpt from the next book in the series. I'm kind of disappointed that it seems to feature people I don't know, but I'm going to look at that author's site and see if these characters actually DO get their own stories.

So what do you think about back excerpts?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,

    I always read excerpts. First I read the blurb and if that intrigues me I look for an excerpt - Then if that grips me, I order the book. I've bought lots of books on line after being hooked in by the excerpt. Sometimes I haven't been planning to buy any books until I read an excerpt and suddenly can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of excerpts too. I tend to skim a blurb and then read the excerpt especially for an unknown author and like Janet that often ends with an unplanned purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read everything, the dedication, book description and excerpt. Oh I forgot, Dear Reader if there is one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey Hughes4:57 AM

    I always read the blurb, then about the author and then if I'm unsure of the voice/tone, skim read the first chapter before buying. (I spend a lot of time sitting on the floor in front of shelves making my selection this way - local book shops hate me)

    I very rarely read excerpts as I don't see the point of them (but that's only my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto got to read those excerpts and I have referred to them when looking at buying books by authors I don't know.

    ReplyDelete