Sunday, December 05, 2010

On the Seventh Day of Christmas - Julianne MacLean

Every Christmas Eve since I was young, my mother has cooked her famously delicious seafood casserole – a creamy concoction of comfort and joy with a healthy dash of bliss – served over a bed of rice, with a side serving of fresh green salad, and rolls with real butter.


We still gather at my parents’ house each year and enjoy this decadent meal. First we eat, then we sing and play music until it’s time to exchange gifts and finally go home to wait for Santa.

As my Christmas gift to you, I’m giving away a signed copy of my latest book, When a Stranger Loves Me, and I’m also going to share my mom’s recipe, which is sure to make you sigh with delight this Christmas season. Happy Holidays to all!

Noel’s Christmas Seafood Casserole

½ cup melted butter
½ cup flour
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
7 dashes tobasco sauce
1 cup homogenized milk
2 cup blend
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
½ cup sherry
1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
small can lobster paste
1 can frozen cooked lobster
frozen cooked scallops
frozen cooked shrimp
1 cup rice

Melt butter in large pot. Stir in flour, mustard and salt. Add tobasco, stir in milk and cook until smooth. Stir in blend until thickened. (Stir constantly. Don’t let it burn!) Add cheese, stir until melted. Add Worcestershire sauce, sherry and seafood. Cook on medium low heat for 20 minutes. Serve over a bed of rice and enjoy!




To be entered into the draw for the Prize box, including Julianne's WHEN A STRANGER LOVES ME, send me an e-mail with the clue CHRISTMAS EVE. One entry per day please!

18 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!

    Question? What's blend?

    Is that cornstarch? Flour?

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I'm allergic to sea food, but I'll pass it on to my sister, she loves seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tradition! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Julianne--it's making me hungry just reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie ! Goodness gracious, I didn't think to explain "blend." It must be a Canadian term. It means half n half - or cereal cream, 10% M.F.
    Glad you asked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda - sorry to hear you are allergic to seafood. It seems very common these days.

    FWIW, we have a traditional turkey dinner on Christmas day. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds a marvelous way to spend Christmas eve! 'Love According to Lily' is one of my favorite books. I am really enjoying your Pembroke Palace Series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of using seafood in a casserole. Great idea and sounds very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen1:29 p.m.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tai! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed Love According to Lily. I loved writing that one.

    Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds scrumptous - wouldnt have thought of seafood on Christmas eve but could be a tradition in the making.
    Grace x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That casserole sound delicious, Julianne. However, I'd leave out the scallops. I'd LOVE to win STRANGER!! Happy Holidays!

    Meljprincess AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julianne, the casserole sounds yum...have to try it this holidays as we are in seafood heaven! All around us is sea and seafood is plentiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic recipe. I live in Louisiana so this is something I will try. My husband makes a Seafood Gumbo every Christmas Eve for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds yummy. Anything with Worcestershire Sauce in it has to be good.
    debby236 at att dot net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the recipe and the memories.

    We gather at my sister's on boxing day so her 5 children can all be with their spouse's families on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a wonderful Christmas tradition. Things are rather quiet at our house on Christmas Eve, for we have the entire family together on Christmas Day. Your sea food recipe sounds great, but does it leave you ready for turkey on Christmas Day? We still have leftovers from Thanksgiving, but they taste as good as ever and not having to do much cooking is nice, too. It leaves more time for decorating, shopping, etc. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gladys - you asked if we still wanted turkey on Christmas day after the big meal on Christmas eve, and the answer is a definite YES :). We love to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by everyone! Thanks Donna, this was fun!

    ReplyDelete