Monday, December 06, 2010

On the Eighth Day of Christmas - Michelle Styles

One Christmas in my childhood, my mother purchased an olive wood Nativity scene carved in Bethlehem through our church.. At first I am sorry to say that I didn’t appreciate it as I preferred the more ornate Italian style cribs. But it did look right when it was set up. And I looked forward to seeing it. It helped to make Christmas Christmas.

When I married and had my first child, my mother sent the figures over to me in England as reminder of Christmases past. I duly set it up. It reminded me of home and had sentimental value but I still toyed with the idea of some day getting something proper as the little scene never seemed to be quite right.

Then we moved to our present house the day after Thanksgiving and everything was new and different. There was a lot wrong with the house and every day seemed to bring a new disaster. There were reasons why the house had been on the market so long...The children who were quite little at the time kept complaining of the cold and things not being.

On 1 December I started decorating the house for Christmas. My heart sank as I picked up the box containing the Nativity set. Where to put it? Would it look as out of place as I felt? The second shelf of the Edwardian piece seemed to be the obvious answer. The pieces suddenly instead of being lost looked just right. The positively glowed In that instant I knew it didn’t matter about the various things falling apart or the mammoth task in front of us. We had reached the place where my children were going to grow up and that this was going to be a Home instead of a house. And so it has proved.


Michelle's contribution to the prize box is her latest Harlequin Historical release - A Question of Impropriety.
 
To enter to win ALL the books and goodies, send me an e-mail with the following clue: NATIVITY.  One entry per person per day, please!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, thanks for being here and sharing your memories with us. I agree nothing like christmas decorations to make a house look like a home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just adore Nativity scenes. I owned about five of them when we went to visit St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal. There were over 200 Nativity scenes on display in one area. I could have spent hours looking at them all. I have about 30 of them now but I don't put them all up anymore.

    I do have an olive wood set and I find the simple lines of it very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :::waving furiously:::
    Hi Michelle!
    I am not ready for Christmas. lol!
    I dont have a Nativity scene but I have some other decorations to put up that give me nice memories.
    I'd love to spend Christmas in England. *sigh*

    xo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter collects Nativity scenes. I don't know how she gets them all out. She has so many:)

    I enjoyed your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nas -- I am pleased you liked the story.

    Kaelee -- I am glad someone else likes Navity scenes. I always search them out...

    Melissa -- waving like mad back! I'm not ready for Christmas yet either!

    Judy -- I think naivity sets are a great thing to collect. It is fascinating to see how different craftsmen interpret the same scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen3:11 PM

    My mother has one that she keeps out all year long... She even painted one for her mother when she was young...
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, I enjoyed your memories. I love nativities, especially ones with memories. I have two - one that is crocheted and another hand carved by my father in law. They are so beautiful.
    debby236 at att dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOPE I'M IN TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister collects Nativity sets, I can't even tell you how many she has. She puts them out every year too.

    ReplyDelete