Thursday, November 25, 2010

If I weren't a writer...

I'd be a musician. Or at least a mediocre struggling one.

I always thought I'd like to compose - a writer of a different sort. Many times I sit down at the piano and leave the sheet music behind and just let my fingers talk - like freewriting but with music.

Every now and again I think about it - why I chose an English Lit degree over Music. I especially think about it when I listen to certain composers or performers (or both). The latest to make me think a lot is Stephan Moccio - if you watched any of the Olympics you probably heard the song Believe - that's Stephan.

I have his new album Color thanks to itunes and it is fabulous to write to. I can hear shades of David Foster in some of the harmonies and key changes and shifts. I can hear similarities to Jim Brickman in some of the melodies and syncopated timing. I hear reminiscences of Ennio Morricone in some of the supporting orchestration. I hear emotion in all of it.




This is from an earlier album - Exposure.

What music do you listen to that inspires you?

3 comments:

  1. Donna, that's lovely - I hadn't heard him before. Reminds me very much of Einaudi (look up Le Onde - my fave piece, which I remember from baby music class when my youngest was small).

    I have a different playlist for each book. But at the moment, there are three songs I'm listening to a lot: Daughtry's "What About Now", Adele's version of Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love", and Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are". All three have lots of emotion and lyrics that work beautifully for the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment Evanescence is getting me through my book - strong female vocals for strong female leads, love it!

    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Donna. I don't listen to music when I write - I find it too distracting - but each of my characters has a theme song. For Alice, my current heroine, who is a pianist, it's a string quartet by Mendelssohn. For her hero, it's a fiddle tune called Soldier's Joy. I love finding music that captures the soul of the characters.

    ReplyDelete