Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Think I'm In Love

I started my new Harlequin Romance today, and after angsting over a working title I settled on The Cowgirl's Convenient Groom. I'm not sure if that will stick - most titles tend to be Hero-centric as far as possession goes. But there are a few twists in this one that I think kind of makes the title work.

I have been waiting a long time to write Clay Gregory's story. I tried a few different scenarios but nothing really stuck for me or for my editor either. But I think truth be told I didn't have the right heroine for Clay and when I finally realized who was PERFECT for him it all came together. Megan Briggs is the sister of his best friend. And if you've read One Dance With The Cowboy you've met Clay and Dawson a time or two.  Did I mention this book is set in Larch Valley? I LOVE being able to go back there for another visit.

There's some powerful conflict in this book and I'm keeping a lot of it close to my chest just because...well...I don't want to give it away yet. But today I wrote the opening and despite emotional fireworks to come I just had a BALL. Clay is going to be a real pill in a lot of ways.

And Megan is young, strong, and determined. I don't want to say more yet. But Clay is in for a big surprise.

I have my casting - an unlikely duo for a western but in my mind's eye it works. Clay's slightly older and dark and sexy. Megan is younger and is a lot stronger than she appears.

And I have a song, which I discovered a month or so ago. At first it didn't apply to Clay and Megan, but when I listened to it last week while on the treadmill, I realized it was RIGHT.



I fully expect that at some point these two are going to cause me a wagon load of trouble. But until then, I'm going to enjoy the honeymoon phase of this book as long as I can.

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Clay looks like trouble indeed...long, lean, delightful trouble! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that I've never really noticed that the titles are hero-centric before. But finger's crossed that yours will be an exception :)

    ReplyDelete