Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Lightning Rod of Positivity

I was chatting to my friend Jenna Bayley-Burke today and she was so upbeat it was absolutely contagious. When I called her on it, she said she was a lightning rod of positivity. It made me laugh.

It was definitely catching. Jenna won a super prize at a conference last weekend and as a result we're going to be meeting - IN PERSON - in New York City next June for RWA Nationals. I am beyond excited about the 2011 conference. My roomie and I (romance author Fiona Harper) have made tentative plans for working in sightseeing and I already know my agent will be there. Having gone to Washington in 09, I know what the Harlequin party is like and I can't wait to go again.  I can feel the energy of it already - and it's only OCTOBER.

As a result, and thank goodness I'm between deadlines, I've been involved in putting together some proposals for workshops. Three, to be exact, each one offering something different. Each one exciting in its own way. I'm hoping that one of them will get picked. Competition for slots is going to be TIGHT. And the deadline for those is next Friday, which means I have to get my butt in gear and get things done and dusted.

I'm also working on a novella, and it's taken me a little longer than I expected, but I have until Nov 1 to finish it up and today I hit the 13,000 mark so it shouldn't be too bad, getting to 20,000. If I can get the first draft to 18 or so, editing should look after the rest.

Meanwhile, I have a field trip this week, groceries to get, a house to clean, all in preparation for my mom and stepdad arriving for Thanksgiving Weekend. It should be fun. The leaves are finally starting to turn and there's something wonderful about turkey leftovers.

4 comments:

  1. i've never been to an RWA conf b4 I'm hoping this one will be my first and yep I am already getting excited too. Good Luck with the novella and hope u get a slot at the conf, i would love to listen to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting to meet your lightning rod! And rooming with Fiona? Need a third? I do admire you getting to go finally though. I want to but hubby says "Sell a book." Like I'm just gonna walk out my door and an acquiring editor will be raising her arm to buy! But one day...
    So, I just finished Her Lone Cowboy...finally! Oh, Donna- what a wonderfully written story! Thank you.
    I gave a mini review-ish on my blog at www.calisa-lewis dot blogspot dot com. You are the master. I know they'll pick your workshop for next year. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to make Conference next summer too. The more I hear the more I like, and I might even have a book to pitch. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know my feelings...

    I should be there...

    ReplyDelete