Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bits and Bobs

Today is Pink Heart Picks Book Club and I've read and reviewed Jeannie Lin's Harlequin Historical debut, BUTTERFLY SWORDS. Come on over!

If you ever wondered why I love my CP so much, I'm about to tell you. Again. I stopped counting the reasons as I think we must have been getting close to a squillion.

First of all re: the writing process - I followed her twitter link today to Writer's Digest quotes and found 2 that I especially liked today. I'm not one to rip a manuscript apart and look at elements and analyze the thing to death.  I end up going around in circles and get frustrated. So I love this quote from Tom Clancy:

“I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story.”



—Tom Clancy, WD

I see a lot of writers determined to write it "right" but they forget the element of storytelling, which is so crucial!

I also love this quote, because it speaks to the importance of symbolism and imagery as writing tools to convey emotions and theme. Drawing your reader in, making them ask questions - that's important. Plus SK is brilliant.

“Making people believe the unbelievable is no trick; it’s work. … Belief and reader absorption come in the details: An overturned tricycle in the gutter of an abandoned neighborhood can stand for everything.”



—Stephen King, WD

Now, moving on. I have an opportunity coming up and Michelle and I have been e-mailing back and forth this morning. She does know how work my creative muscles!  Today she was sending me hooks and just little hints and it was like bloody flashbulbs in my brain! So many possibilities for stories, and soon I am going to have to settle down and make sense of some of them so I have something concrete. One idea in particular is challenging and I do love a challenge, and I am already seeing scenes in my head which is a good sign. So today is putting some of that on paper so that when final word comes down, I'm raring to go.

Other news - foreign releases are kicking in after a few months of sporadic activity. I will admit that I find translations horribly exciting. While I'm sitting here in yoga pants and a cup of tea, the idea of someone reading my book while sunbathing on a Greek beach seems very exotic, you know?

So....

HIRED: THE ITALIAN'S BRIDE is out in Germany starting today and it is going to be out in Greece next month, and A BRIDE FOR ROCKING H RANCH is in an antho in Finland and Denmark in November as well.  HER LONE COWBOY is out now in Spain, too. Look at all these pretty covers!


1 comment: