Sunday, August 15, 2010

Word count

In yesterday's comments Morton asked how I do my word counts.  Not being sure if she means how I calculate them or how I get them on the side bar, I'm going to answer both questions. :-)

Most publishers are making the move to computer word count so that is what I do.  It does take the guesswork out of calculating words per page and multiplying it.  Mills and Boon have been using computer count for a while now and so I've been spared the task of using the page count method.  It must be mentioned too that different fonts mean different words per page.  It makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

As far as the word count meter on the sidebar - I use the NaNoWriMo meter. This is the link and after you put the code in your sidebar, you can simply click on it and it links back to the site.  Easy peasy.

It is shaping up to be a busy week for me.  We have a little bit of back-to-school shopping to fit in at some point, in addition to hitting revisions and company coming next weekend.  But it is good to be busy. :-) Hard to believe summer is almost over.  I just wish the breeze didn't die off at night.  Last night someone had a campfire and there was no breeze so our smoke alarm went off at nearly 10 p.m.  I had to turn off our air exchanger and close the windows which made sleeping quite....hot.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It was the sidebar I was intrigued by. should have been more specific, but the other answer was interesting too. Regards Morton x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sidebar word meters. It's great being able to follow a book's progress.

    A smoke alarm is definitely not the way you want to wake up. It must have been some fire to generate enough smoke to do that! Here's to hoping you get better sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete