Saturday, August 07, 2010

Readin' and Watchin'

Holidays means busy but I did manage to watch a few movies and read a few books.

WHIP IT - Directed by Drew Barrymore and starring Ellen Page was surprisingly good.  I'm not a roller derby girl but this was a pretty good movie with a solid cast.  Plus, I now get to hear the dh say quite comically - Home of the Squealer. 

FAME - don't waste your time.  There are a few performances which are fun but literally no character arcs. It's a movie with very little STORY, and all the good voices and great dancing can't camouflage that.

I read BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY for the Pink Heart Picks book club - you can check out my review at the Pink Heart Society.  I really enjoyed this book!  I don't read a lot of Blazes so it was great to pick one up and find it so entertaining.

I also read TAMING HER IRISH WARRIOR by Michelle Willingham, and it was really great.  I love a spunky heroine who can look after herself.  I really didn't know how it was all going to come together in the end either which was great. I'm looking forward to her next...

MY SOUL TO LOSE by Rachel Vincent was intense for a YA. And really different as the heroine is in a psychiatric ward! She got the details quite right in that regard and I'd be interested in reading more in the series.

HARBOR LIGHTS by Sherryl Woods got read a few days ago but I made a critical error thinking it was second in the trilogy when really it is third, so now I'm reading FLOWERS ON MAIN. I don't think it's truly going to matter.  I do enjoy Sherryl's books.  I have to say though that Kevin had so much patience with his family, who while caring and meddlesome were also, I thought, at times callous and even mean. In particular, when Georgia's parents were visiting and they began teasing Kevin about Shanna at the dinner table - that was just plain insensitive and I would have told them so. I wish Kevin had. I would have told the lot of them to butt out and grow up.

It did leave me wondering though if there is another book, because there are more family members.

Four books for the month is not a very good record, but I've had little time to read to be honest. We always seemed to be on the go. Now that I'm home for the rest of the month of August, I hope to log a lot more reads. I'm very behind on my count! I've got a few on the go that I hope to finish this week.

1 comment:

  1. I was disappointed with Fame too :(. My Soul to Lose sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete