Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pillars of the Earth, Brothers, and what not.

The dh and I have been watching PILLARS OF THE EARTH.  We're enjoying it immensely.  In fact, last night I was so filled with horror and loathing that I believe I said to dh, that mother&*#$er has to die. Which he didn't so it means we have to wait for the next epi.  I told dh that I think Jack needs to discover something first and that Jack should be the one to do it.  But I haven't read the book so I don't know how it plays out.  Now, that being said, I heard from one person that she is very disgusted with the series as it deviates from the book so much.  Then I heard from someone else that it follows things pretty closely.  It made me think...how much creative license do you accept in adaptations, is it tied into the "spirit" of the book rather than literal, and is it also tied up in your emotions.  So if you LOVED it beyond words, are you less likely to accept deviations?  I see that Ken Follett is listed as a consultant. Anyway, whether it does or doesn't, I'm watching and enjoying. And my friend lent me the book so I can get to it at some point.  Being a good friend, I also sent her home with a few books - one being Pam Callow's DAMAGED and the other being my latest. :-)

After we watched the POTE epi, the dh and I watched BROTHERS. It's a movie starring Toby McGuire, Jake Gyllenhal (did I spell that right?) and Natalie Portman.  It isn't the flashiest of movies, it definitely doesn't look big budget, but it does hit you right where it hurts.  Sam (McGuire) is a marine captain and his brother Tommy (Jake G) is just out of prison when Sam is redeployed to Afghanistan, leaving his wife (Portman) and his two daughters on the home front.

It's a good story that explores grief and post traumatic stress disorder, with good writing and casting and a clever reversal of roles in the end. But by far the stand out part for me were the 2 daughters.  Those girls were AWESOME. I didn't see in the credits if they were real sisters or not but I cried several times.  It made me wonder if the writer had 2 daughters because I could really see my kids in them.  The youngest was a real ham, cute as a bug's ear.  The oldest seemed to see - and understand - everything which made her pain just heartbreaking.  In one part when Portman says "Daddy will get better," Izzy says, "Really?" with so much hope that it was like listening to my own. And when she said "I love you, Mommy..." I was a mess.  Really, really brilliant job with the kids, writer/casting director/director. 

Anyway I'm off to hang out a load of clothes and get back to work. Company arrives tomorrow, so tonight it is clean up the house night. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment