Friday, June 11, 2010

Your Magician's Book

Head over to Michelle Styles's blog to see the basis for this particular post.  It won't take you long.  It does bring back many memories of my childhood.  And I did read some perfect books in that time...read them several times, actually.

I lived in a community with no library, so unless I bought books on a trip to town, whatever was on the shelf was what I read (hence the re-reading).  Many of those books had belonged to my sisters. But particular favourites that stand out are:

The Bobbsey Twins: The Red, White and Blue Mystery.  I read several Bobbsey Twins books, but this one got read time and time again. I think it was the mystery element that I liked.

Donna Parker: On Her Own - you know, I don't remember a lot about this book. But I remember the feeling of the hardcover and jacket in my hands, and lying on the couch in the sun porch on summer afternoons.  This too had belonged to my sister.

Anne of the Island. (LM Montgomery) I have two favourite Anne books - this one and Rilla of Ingleside.  I didn't read Rilla until I was much older, but I read Anne of the Island as a child over and over again.  I loved how Anne went off to school, I loved her chums and their quirks, I loved their cats, and Royal Gardiner, and the ongoing thread of her friendship with Gilbert.  This might actually be my very first "romance" because that is so much of what I love about it even if it is subtle.  Phillipa and the Reverend Jo...so much to love.

And, like most girls, I went through a horse stage.  I read every single one of the Black Stallion books several times.  I was a popular fiction girl right from the start, I think!

And when I got tired of re-reading, I spent a lot of time with my WorldBook Encyclopedia "Childcraft" books.  A LOT of time.

I think I missed the boat on a lot of kids classics growing up.  There were many I hadn't read and I have rectified that with my children as we have read many together over the last four or five years.  The Secret Garden, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Wind in The Willows, Little Women, A Wrinkle in Time (the whole quintet).  We've also done the whole Harry Potter series aloud.  I have to say I've enjoyed children's and young adult lit far more in adulthood!

5 comments:

  1. Aw so sad you had no library! I think I enjoy reading children's and young adult lit more as and adult too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, I loved this post. Kid's books have a very special place in my heart. I also read Anne of the Island several times. I loved the old ladies who owned Patty's Place, and Aunt Jamesina. The 'Wrinkle in Time' series were favorites, as were the Bobbsey Twins, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. I devoured Marguerite Henry's and C.W. Anderson's horse stories. I didn't read The Secrt Garden until I'd grown up, and I'm glad - I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as a child. I don't tink we ever get too old for good children's books.

    ReplyDelete