Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chunk Writing and results

Yesterday I posted at the PHS about chunk writing, and how it's helped me keep my word count going and my life in order recently.  With a long to-do list, it's easy to feel overwhelmed.  But with chunk writing, I'm managing just over 2k a day on the WIP, AND I'm mostly staying on top of my "chore" list.  This week alone, I had a holiday Monday, volunteering yesterday, and a field trip tomorrow.  Not to mention yard work and housework, opening the pool and running kids around. Thankfully this is the last of the school volunteering for the year AND this week sees the end of sports involvement.  I think next week will be a complete revelation!

I'm liking this story though, in fact my chapter three this morning ended up needing a scene (which I suspected, but wasn't sure what needed to be there).  After talking to my CP I realized what it needed and it helped a lot, especially in bringing out motivational threads.  That meant the final scene of three got moved to four, the four pages of four I had got expanded to about eight - and voila! Chapters 3 and 4 done, until I go back and really tweak them again at the end. I ended up with 2900 words added today...not quite sure how that happened as I did it in only 3 chunks, but that's the funny thing with revising and adding.  It seems to add up quite fast sometimes.

Anyway, I feel good about it and I'm looking forward to moving on with chapter five tomorrow.

In other news, I finally got a new bottle of anti-frizz cream, and my hair looks like it is SUPPOSED to look now.  It is nice when the curls look like curls and not balls of fuzz.

Right now the burning question is: clean the upstairs or do the weeding?

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Donna. I'm a great fan of 'doing a bit' approach to writing. Every year, when I do nanowrimo, people say 'oh! 50,000 words in 30 days! I couldn't do that!' but when you break it down, all it means is just over 1600 per day, every day. If I'm finding it hard work, I do 500. then 500 later, then 600 later. Think I'll set myself a target again for June, and whip my wip!

    ReplyDelete