Friday, April 09, 2010

Revisions begun

I have started my revisions and have had to throw out pretty much all of the first three chapters.  There are a few odds and ends I have been able to salvage, but a new opening is hard to blend so I'm recreating.  When you think about it - three chapters is nearly 10 k.  So a lot of work.  But it does mean I'll be bringing other things forward and expanding them. 

Anyway I do think we have more instant conflict this way.  And now that I've had a short break - back to it I go.  This weekend is groceries and cleaning and company and my writer's group meeting, during which time I'll be thinking, thinking, thinking about how to approach things even more.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're lucky. Three chapters for me would be 15k!

    Good luck with it. It's kind of exciting though, isn't it, to be writing fresh rather than re-writing? I always prefer chucking out and starting again to piecemeal revisions. But then I'm odd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Jane - you're right - it's closer to 15! Ouch! But I do think this is going to be even better and snappier!

    ReplyDelete