Thursday, January 14, 2010

Book Reviews and Movies

Working on:  Chapter 3 of UAS
Listening to: Gotan Project
Reading: A Civil Contract - Georgette Heyer

I hit the 10k mark last night which felt REALLY good.  Objective is to finish chapter 3 today. I am currently looking at a chart that Deb Hale did on the 3 act structure as I know it will help immensely - already I know I need to have a turning point here in the plot/arc.  I liked her workshop on it so much I cut out the chart and taped it to the shelf above my desk for quick reference.

I will say though that research is taking a LOT of my time for a little bit of info - just making sure the details I include are accurate.  Slow and steady though and it will get there.

I have finished the first 2 reads of the year - A bit slow but considering the craziness of this month - the fact that I've read at all is a bonus.  The first book I finished was India Grey's Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper.  I'm not going to review that today as I read it for the Pink Heart Picks book club at the Pink Heart Society and my review - and hopefully some discussion - will happen on the 26th over at the PHS.

The second book I finished is Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

I've read both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons and so The Lost Symbol was on my Christmas list. Especially seeing as I had my first trip to DC in the summer and the book is set there, I thought it would be cool to read and actually be able to relate to the setting. And it was! :-)


I have issues with Brown's writing at times BUT I ignore them in favour of the fact that he does keep me turning the pages and he throws in all sorts of (what I think are) clever twists. I also like the fact that all three books follow a theme of the marriage of science and religion to explain the world's deepest secrets. But you know, of the three - I STILL like The DaVinci Code the best.

The start was a little bit slow, but picked up and the last third was...well, read by me last night as I stayed up wayyy too late but had to know how it ended. I am never quite sure where Brown is going to go with things (hence the page turning quality). I did however guess quite early on the final place crucial to the plot as it made perfect sense to me. AND I will say that the last 20 pages - dragged. Way too much blah blah after the climax. It could have very easily been cut back.

A good read, not something I'd rave about but memorable.

As far as movies, I haven't watched many.  I think I mentioned we watched Burn After Reading which was just meh.  It was very Cohen Brothers, so if you like their work, you'll like this. 
 
And we watched He's Just Not That Into You.  I had heard many mixed reviews about this movie and so I didn't know if I was going to love it or hate it.  Turns out I loved it.  It reminded me a bit of Love Actually in that it followed several couples whose lives intertwined, with some happy endings and some not so much (Except not as good as Love Actually, which is in a league of its own IMO).
 
The main "spine" of the story was lovely and could have been a category romance in many ways.  I was DYING near the end because while in a romance you KNOW there is the HEA I wasn't quite positive that the movie was going to follow that pattern.  Justin Long's Alex was awesome and I loved his change in the end.  LOVED IT.  And I felt so sorry for Jennifer Aniston's character (I'm sorry I'm not remembering names - case of brain overload this month) and when she came into the kitchen and saw Neil washing dishes I cried.  That storyline was so good.  In that moment he was the man she could depend on for always, marriage certificate or no, and led to a really good ending of their story.
 
I kind of felt the overall message was that love is about being with people who want to be with you, and not settling when they don't.  And appreciating them when they do. 
 
Now - I've rambled on far too long and I have scads of work, so off I go.

4 comments:

  1. I too have read India Grey's Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper. In view of what you've said i won't give too much away! But just to say I *loved* it! Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - I liked Dan Brown's Angels and Demons better than The Davinci Code. Haven't read his newest one - it's in the TBR file.

    I've seen He's Just Not That Into You, but it was awhile ago. I'll have to look it out and have another viewing. I loved Love Actually, one of my favorite movies. If you're ever looking for a movie review - I usually do one on Saturday morning over on my blog (Friday's are movie nights in our house).

    Congrats on 10K mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research, I love it......you ever need a helping hand you only have to ask.

    India's book, I can't wait for the book club.....waiting to read it so it will be fresh in my mind as I ready so many books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo 10K mark! :D

    ReplyDelete