Thursday, October 15, 2009

Big Excitement

First of all, I'm over at Tote Bags 'N' Blogs today talking about empathy and how my soft heart deals with bleeding on the page.  Come on over.  :-)

There was a great deal of excitement here last night.  In the end, when my husband called from Winnipeg, I said that in his absence I had to resort to several firefighters on our anniversary.

Shortly before the kids' bedtime, our smoke alarms went off.  They would shut off momentarily and then start wailing again - to the tune of half a dozen times.  I checked the house and found nothing, but they kept squealing and I'm sorry but I err on the side of caution.  I called the fire dept and they came out to check things.

We're in a small neighbourhood.  Two fire engines with lights flashing parked at the top of our drive while we stood outside was a bit of a sensation.

Thankfully all was clear.  I still don't know why they went off.  I turned off our air exchanger in case it was everyone's new wood stove fires in the cold weather sneaking through and triggering the alarms.  Thankfully the rest of the night was quiet. 

And I had fun joking around with the firemen.  Especially when at the end I had to give my name and phone number.   I figured if we had to stand outside in the brisk air we might as well have fun. 

I felt slightly stupid, but I figure it's better to feel stupid that way then to be stupid and not call - and have disaster. 

6 comments:

  1. I am glad their was no problem. It would have been very scary, and been very bad. It wasn't stupid to call the fire department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of the time back in my singlehood when I was hanging out with a friend who was very pregnant. A house down their street had a firetruck parked outside with a number of firemen wandering around. My friend absolutely refused to go into labour at that moment so I could meet some firemen. Now I ask you -- is that a sign of true friendship?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo April. Glad there wasn't a problem. Definitely a case of "better safe than sorry". Take care. Caroline x

    p.s. - your book arrived yesterday. Thanks ever so much. Started it last night - and hope to finish it tonight - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorraine6:09 p.m.

    Thankfully everything turned out okay. I have survived two house fires and it's not easy, starting over again. You lose so much that can't be replaced.

    Best wishes...and get those smoke detectors checked! Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that all went well. You were right to take precautions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those smoke alarms are twitchy little things (though they've never done anything as scary as yours). Mine occasionally chucks a hissy fit, you've never seen me move so fast or bound up a step ladder. Now I'm wondering if I could call a nice fireman to assist me... ;)

    ReplyDelete