Monday, August 24, 2009

Jewell

I thought I'd share a few pics that I put in my folder for the new book, which for the time being I've christened Jewell for lack of a better working title. Jewell is the name of the town where the story is set, with all sorts of little places in the surrounding area lending color.



First of all, let me introduce you to Joshua Collins. Josh runs a whale watch tour boat out of Jewell. He didn't always. He has a whole past that happened away from his home town. But life can change on a dime, and now he's back home again, plagued by well-meaning family and feeling a little under the microscope. Still - keeping life laid back and day by day is just how he likes it.

It doesn't hurt that he's nurturing a broken heart, either.


So you can imagine how meeting Elizabeth Howard might turn his life upside down, especially...well, never mind especially why. Hopefully you'll get to read about that part somewhere down the road.


Elizabeth is more a type A personality. She's always been an achiever with an eye on what she wants, and she usually gets it too. Like Josh, her life has been touched by loss, but it's a discovery in her mother's attic that completely turns her life upside down. That discovery leads her to Jewell, Maine, where she's taken a temporary job in a local doctor's office (yes, she's a doc). It leads her straight to Josh Collins too.




Jewell itself is a typical coastal town, with colorful buildings, a rich history, and moderate tourism in the summer - not quite as touristy as say Bar Harbor or Kennebunkport or even Camden. It's got the local lobster fishery in addition to other industry including one now-defunct textile mill. Oh, and it's got secrets too. At least one or two.






Elizabeth is renting a cottage at Fiddler's Cove...this is her view in the morning, once the fog has burnt off. A bit isolated, but the view is worth it, don't you think?









Then there's the old Sea Captain's home, which is currently owned by the mayor of the town. This home has been around since the mid-19th century and oh the stories it could tell.







There's also Selkie's Island, and I'm thinking Josh and Elizabeth will get there in his boat, Jewell's Constant. You never know what might happen at the lighthouse.

All in all, I'm really excited to be writing it and peeling back the layers of their stories.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love this story already! And the setting is just magical.
    Sigh. Chris..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel1:17 PM

    You certainly know how to pick spectacular settings for your stories, also characters with lots of inner turmoil going on. Looking forward to this one.

    Have to let you know how much I loved your story set in Banff. Hired: the Italian's Bride was a wonderful read. Perfect for the summer day I chose. Nostalgia was there in abundance, as well. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo's. Like Nina said the story is sounding good already, and the H/h are gorgeous! Can I be cheeky and ask what's happening to the book on the sidebar? (Playboy Prince's Bedroom Assignment) Are you writing that in parallel to "Jewell"? Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina - thank you! And yeah, I saw Kitt Kitteredge and suddenly saw the appeal of an older Chris...

    Hazel - I know how special Banff is to you, so I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    And Caroline - not cheeky at all. It's stalled. I started it as a Modern Heat but after my editor had a look at the partial, it became clear it isn't going to fly there. I am leaving it on the sidebar though because with some adjustment, that story might work elsewhere. I really liked the story idea, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete