Friday, August 07, 2009

Friday

Working on: edits for Sold - almost done!
Listening to: birds outside
Reading: Whitethorn Woods, Maeve Binchy

Last night the dh and I finished watching season 1 of True Blood. I love this series and damned if they don't end every single episode on a cliffhanger. We've been up far too late over the last few weeks just so we could see how that ending moment gets resolved...and always ended up getting hooked on watching the whole episode. There are 7 epis of season 2 up (we are doing it with On Demand) so soon we will be done. After that I may watch the Ladies Detective Agency.

Why is it, by the way, that by this time of the summer, kids start arguing? 8:15 in the morning and I've had to take the wii away for the whole day. Instead I've inflicted them with....workbooks. After that it will be emptying the dishwasher and quiet reading. Not to mention making their beds. That's right. I Am The Hammer. The last 2 or 3 days have seen an increase of bickering. Argh!

Part of the problem is that they were SO busy for the first 3 1/2 weeks of summer that now, with things quieter, they have more time on their hands. Next week I hope to remedy that a little bit - the dh is going sailing with a neighbour for a few days and I am planning on taking the girls to Mount Uniacke Estate one of those days weather permitting. We also may spend a few days at the in-laws, giving them a hand and hanging out. The FIL is doing much better since his surgery but they do have a huge amount of land to keep up. My goal is to get Sold to my agent before we go, and then spend that time doing some reading before I launch in to my next project.

I did finish a book the other night- Lynn Raye Harris's debut Spanish Magnate, Red-Hot Revenge. I really enjoyed it - the hero was quite ruthless but I understood all along why - and that he was using it as a shield against some real pain. For the most part the heroine stood up to him too. Their past history made the continuing physical relationship plausible, because they were both remembering how it had been between them before. Hot. And also loving. Even as the relationship in the present was sometimes volatile and always intense, they got glimpses of the "old" Alejandro and Rebecca at times and it made it difficult to resist.

Anyway I thought it a very strong debut.

Now, I'm back to finishing up Sold...doing laundry...and probably making a short grocery run as we're out of milk!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks, Donna! I'm glad you 'got' Alejandro. That kind of hero can be polarizing, as I've discovered. *g* You have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs on the squabbles. Here, too. (Not made easier by horrible humidity which meant everyone slept really badly last night.)

    Cleaning the dishwasher. That's a good one. Thanks. Will remember that for next time I have to intervene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're going to take some time to do some reading before you hit the book making machine again! We can't have you burning out ;)

    Good luck with the squabbles :)

    ReplyDelete