Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Blogs, Bits and Bobs

Number 53 for the year is Too Good To Be True by Kristan Higgins.

You know, this isn't generally my regular reading fare. I got it in DC as part of the freebies given out and since I'm reading a lot of contemporary single title, I didn't let it languish long in the old TBR. Kristan writes first person, chick litty stories and while I started it and enjoyed it, I didn't get super excited about it. I laughed at parts but was it the kind of book that got me excited?

Then I hit the last third or so, and I got hungry to read read read and see how it was all going to come together.

And imagine my surprise (and pleasure) when I hit somewhere around page 340 and I was sniffling and wiping my eyes.

I got frustrated with Grace, and with her sister Margaret, but that was the intent, because it made the growth arcs at the end a really good, big payoff.

Would I read another of Kristan's? You bet.

In other news, I am quitting at noon today as the husband is home. We are all going to the chip truck for fish and chips - it's nearly the end of the season and last chance. Then it's grocery shopping. Mother Hubbard's Cupboard is getting bare in a few spots, so we're replenishing.

I'm a bit stalled on chapter 2 of Jewell, in part because I'm waiting on news and in part because everyone is home and in part because I feel unsure. I will say that school begins next week and I'm looking forward to a few weeks of quiet and regular schedule. Hopefully then I'll bust through and things will flow a little better rather than fighting for words.

Have a good weekend...it's fallish outside so I predict cleaning and baking and all manner of fall organization and nesting bits. I do this every autumn. I feel I must store for the winter, apparently.

4 comments:

  1. You have to read Kristan's "Catch of the Day". It was last year's (or the year before?) RITA winner. I laughed. I cried. :)

    And she's a super sweet person, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the one with Father Tim? I read an excerpt and was hooked. I have been thinking I should get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The heroine has a crush on the local priest. LOL!
    It's really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You have been nominated for the Kreativ Blogger award. Get the logo and rules at http://prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete