Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Big Five-Oh

Working on - prep for new book
Listening to: nothing
Reading: The Pact, Jodi Picoult

I'm still reading The Pact - about half through, actually, because I took a break to read something else. First though, I am logging book 49 for the year which was The Voyage of the Dawntreader by CS Lewis. I am logging the Narnia series because it's been so long since I read them I am discovering them all over again. I think it was our favorite so far of the series - and we only have The Silver Chair and The Last Battle left.

The girls and I have moved on to A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle - third in her Wrinkle in Time Quintet.


And the book that is my big five-oh is Kept For Her Baby - by my dear friend Kate Walker.

I'll be honest. Sometimes I love Presents and sometimes I just...don't. But every now and then a story comes along that sticks with me and this one will. As someone who suffered from Post Partum Depression, I really felt for the heroine. And while the hero, Ricardo, was ruthless we also saw a side of him that understood why. I mean he's a man with a baby, fiercely protective and hurt. And yet he sees the signs that Lucy was ill and he is willing to hear her out. He has the capacity for generosity and kindness. And you can't blame a man for being hesitant when his absentee wife suddenly shows up again - of course you're going to think it's for the money, all things considered.

My favorite part of his character is near the end and I don't want to give it away but he is very vulnerable at that point.


My sister was here briefly today for a cool down swim before hitting the road again....which was cool. I worked all morning though on prep and am stuck trying to find a name for my fictional town. I have it narrowed down to four choices.

I still need a name for my heroine though. She is being elusive!

Right now I'm off to read on the deck before it is time to get dinner!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Kate!

    Sounds like a great story. I need to see if I can find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS BOOK! Love all of Kate's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Alysia for a name. It's the only one that came into my head. Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dearest - I'm so pleased you enjoyed this book. kowing that you'd 'been there, I wanted to make sure I wrote as accuratley as possible about the condition and I hope I succeeded.

    I'm glad you also felt that Ricardo's character worked - it's important that he doens't come across as a monster but as a man fighting with lots of opposing feelings.

    Thank you for posting such a great review

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ricardo didn't come across as a monster at all. Not that you could blame him.

    And I could definitely relate to Lucy. What was so scary to me was that I KNEW what I was feeling was wrong and wasn't me. It is frightening when a stranger inhabits your body, and also feeling so isolated. So it made sense and I saw shades of me in Lucy, though I was never quite that severe.

    ReplyDelete