Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Movies and books

Reading hasn't been that great lately but I did finish A Weaver Wedding. I really enjoyed this book - at times the large family seemed unweildy and hard to keep track of. But it kept me turning the pages and I read like a reader, which is a good sign of an engaging read. Also, looking back when I finished I learned a lot about how to build a series. Because I TOTALLY want to read more of the Double C stories. I'm dying to know what the deal is with Ryan...

Now I'm reading Halifax at War. The tourism stuff I've been doing lately has piqued my interest and I'm loving learning more about the area 70 years ago....

And one thing I have been doing is watching a lot of movies. Brief reviews:

Tropic Thunder - a total concession to watch my husband's choice. Totally stupid and Tom Cruise is creepy. A few funny lines is all this movie had going for it IMO.

The Dark Knight - hello, Christian Bale. Good movie, creepy joker. Dark and with an ending I didn't predict. The only thing that drives me crazy is Bale's "Batman" voice.

Ironman - LOVED it. Robert Downey Jr. is so not my type but he is sex-ay in this movie. Great casting choice. I didn't realize Gwyneth Paltrow was in it either.

Ghost Town - Ricky Gervais is so funny. We enjoyed it a lot. Being a fan of Greg Kinnear, I laughed a lot. It's definitely worth a watch.

Passchendaele - I had really high hopes for this movie - it's written, directed and starred in by Paul Gross. Canadian productions can be total crap and I knew this one wasn't. It takes place on the WWI battlefield and in Calgary (and it looked like a lot of the filming was done at Heritage Park). It WASN'T disappointing until the end, and without spoiling it altogether I'll say it went for the "Oscar" ending and not the "Hollywood" ending which totally ruined it for me. I ranted for a good ten minutes.

That being said, the writing and plotting was really well done. In places there could have been holes but Gross's writing filled them so that there were NO gaps in motivation. With an alternate ending this WOULD have been one of my favourites of the year.

I think that's it...this afternoon the girls and I are going shopping for a few hours as shoes are on the necessary list, as are the makings for kung pao chicken for supper...

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Tropic Thunder. I thought Downey Jr was funny as the aussie though. Christan Bale is a hunk and a half! Yummo I love him in Little Women. Ironman rocked and yes downey was fine...

    ReplyDelete