Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Stop complaining - A reminder

I just read this fab essay, the link of which was sent to my chapter loop by the fantastic Carolyne Aarsen whom I adore. If you read it you will also see why so many writers love Jenny Crusie. It's not a new essay, but it's timely. Because after my earlier rant and the general blukkiness of the last few days, it was very grounding.

It's odd how losing your grip on reality can be grounding, but there you go. We writers are a funny bunch.

Here's what it reinforces for me though.

a) I've been focusing a little too much on reality, and definitely not enough time in dream world. And that makes me cranky.

b) It's actually okay to not be on close terms with reality. In fact, it's discouraged.

and c) I really do believe there is an island. If there weren't, I wouldn't be a swimming rat. My island is out there.

And if that is confusing, just go here and read the essay.

Eye on the donut, not the hole.

2 comments:

  1. when I grow up I want to be a goddess like Jenny Crusie who can dispense such words of wisdom and make it seem perfectly rationale for authors to talk to the imaginary people who live inside out heads...

    Happy writing. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Especially before reading the article. There's nothing more entertaining then having no idea what you're reading :)

    I'm all for an island with cabana boys (not too fussed about whether they're wearing kilts or not, or even the yacht). Ahh a world full of insane writers - sooo much more fun!

    I'm off to embrace insanity and buy my glitter eyeshadow and orange lipstick ;)

    ReplyDelete