Thursday, June 11, 2009

Digging into the vault....



Working on: Chapter nine of OLT, waiting for news from the hospital
Listening to: Il Divo The Promise
Reading: Guernsey book - time at a premium, but very enjoyable

I thought it would be fun to take a look back at some of the blog posts I wrote while writing HIRED: THE ITALIAN'S BRIDE. Back then my working title was The Italian's Surprise Proposal. So here we go - I've dug back in the vault - or archives - and pulled out this!

I'm getting really excited now. I set up an empty word count meter for the new WIP and I've picked a suitably buzz-wordish working title - The Italian's Surprise Proposal. Which will probably change once I get going but oh well.

I did my character sheets this morning and it was SO much fun. With the focus on internal conflict, I really let loose and tried to get to what makes these characters tick. And let me just say...my hero is scrumptious and he is going to drive the heroine crazy. He's going to threaten everything she believes and tries to accomplish whilst being charm and gorgeousness itself....or at least that's the hope.

The hard part was finding casting and maybe I don't need to do it but it grounds me when I start. As things go on, my vision sometimes gets tweaked. And it should because they take on lives of their own.


For a heroine I wanted someone pretty, dainty, someone I could make uptight and rigid at the beginning and then blossom at the end. I ended up with Rebecca Herbst from General Hospital. This picture encapsulates the whole "blossom" idea:



Then there was my Italian. Coincidentally, this guy ISN'T Italian but the look is right. I wanted someone who is fun, who really knows how to enjoy life...but who is also focused and works hard, a real competitor.

If any of you watch the US Dancing with the Stars, you'll recognize Maksim. I love watching him dance because it really looks like he does it for the love of it and that's something I needed in my hero.It's a long weekend here so I won't start any writing until Tuesday of next week, but I don't remember when I was so primed to start a new story. I'm falling for the characters already, and can't wait to see them fall in love.


I actually like the cover of HIRED: THE ITALIAN'S BRIDE a lot and I think their pic of the hero ended up being more like Luca than my original casting.

I'll be back tomorrow with more stuff about H:IB.

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover of this book too :) It's always so much fun to go digging in a vault :)

    ReplyDelete