Sunday, May 17, 2009

Out of Steam

I have run slightly out of steam. That being said, paperwork is pretty much done and it is a boring but necessary chore. But the old accomplish meter hasn't moved far yet today.

I must do another load of clothes, and I must finish dd1's curtains if I do nothing else for the rest of the day. I have a date with the girls to watch Get Smart after supper. And there is still tomorrow.

Here's an interesting article though on reading aloud from the NY Times. Reading aloud is something I am a huge fan of for several reasons. One, I tend to retain more when the information is auditory. When I was in university I used to listen to Shakespeare Plays rather than reading.

I also try to read aloud my manuscripts before they go to my editor. Awkward sentences and dialogue are things I pick up on, as well as repeated words that I might not notice otherwise.

But more than that, our family is very "together" oriented. We do a lot of things together rather than one person doing this and another doing that. One thing we still do, even though the kids are older, is read together. I still read to the girls almost every night. Gone are the days of fairy tales and Dr. Seuss. Now it's Harry Potter, Narnia, Louisa May Alcott. It is like our own reading club. We share the books, we discuss the books, we decide what to read together next...it might only be 15-20 for a chapter each night, but it's OUR time.

Reading aloud is an investment, of your time and attention. But it has taught me a lot about the importance of reading and also about language.

1 comment:

  1. *hands you a chunk of coal in the hope of giving you more steam*

    You know I've really noticed over time that there's a huge difference between children who were read to and encouraged to read and those who weren't in terms of language acquisition and skills. I'm forever thankful that my grandmother sat me down and made me read lol!

    ReplyDelete