Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New CD's!

Working on: Revisions
Listening to: Paul Potts, One Chance
Reading: Secret Baby, Surprise Parents

I should finish the first pass at revisions today, and then tomorrow go through it all for a fine tuning pass. The exciting news for me is that I got my new CD's - Paul Potts. Now I don't get Britain's Got Talent and really didn't know much about it at all until the infamous Susan Boyle clip exploded on the world. So I didn't know who Paul Potts was.

Visually, he's very plain. Like Boyle, at first sight he appears to be an unlikely star. But then he opens his mouth and aahhhhhhhhhhh. Being a fan of Groban, Il Divo, Bocelli, etc. this is RIGHT up my alley. In fact, one of the things I love about ONE CHANCE is that it features AMAPOLA. When I first heard Amapola on my Bocelli cd, AMORE, I cried.

The low spot for me was both Music of The Night and A Mi Manera which I didn't really like of Il Divo's either...and let's call a spade a spade - the orchestrations of many of these tracks are nearly identical to ones by other people on other cd's. I can overlook that because, well, I LOVE the orchestrations. Music of the Night was lacking the passion of the Phantom, to be honest. It was well sung, but you have to do more than sing Phantom of the Opera. You have to be the Phantom, full of darkness and terrible beauty. I'd take Gerard Butler's less than perfect but passionate version over this.

However, Time to Say Goodbye, Amapola, Nella Fantasia, Nessun Dorma and Cavatina make it SO worthwhile.

In fact, Cavatina is the perfect song for my playboy prince in PPBA and the torture I am going to put him through. Originally from The Deerhunter, the lyrics go like this:

She was beautiful,
Beautiful to my eyes.
From the moment I saw her,
The sun filled the sky.

She was so, so beautiful,
Beautiful just to hold.
In my dreams she was spring time,
Winter was cold.

How could I tell her
What I so clearly could see.
Though I longed for her
I never trusted her completely
So I never could be free.

It was so, so beautiful,
Knowing now that she cared.
I will always remember
Moments that we shared.

For it was beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful to be loved.

So that's me being a happy duck.

I also got his second album, Passione. And Liz Fielding's latest book. And a book for my eldest that I'm hiding until she finishes New Moon. :-)

2 comments:

  1. The words to the song are lovely. It's always good to listen to some good music when doing something. In the UK the Paul Potts phenomenon was all everyone talked about at the time! Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to check Paul Potts out. (New to me)

    But I LOVE Bocelli, Groban, and Il Divo, too!

    ReplyDelete