Monday, April 06, 2009

Monday Madness

Is it just me, or is it hard to focus when you don't have to focus?

I'll explain what I mean. Now that my book is in, that tight focus I had to maintain for several weeks is suddenly relaxed. At first it felt great. Like getting outdoors after a week of rain and letting the sun on your face. Not that I equate writing this last book to a week of rain, on the contrary. I quite enjoyed writing it. But stepping out into the sun, blinking at the bright light and feeling the freedom of it is very much how I was feeling last Thursday.

But suddenly tons of other jobs started piling up. Jobs that I could very easily put aside a whole month to accomplish (not all writing, by the way). Things that when I was very deadlined could think about and say, "When I finish I'm going to do this and this and this" and be excited about it.

Only now those jobs are feeling a little overwhelming and I'm missing the focus bit.

(Not only that, but I've now spent 5 days without writing. I'm itching to get back into the swing of things. A lot of writers will tell you they need a break to refill the well after writing a book. They'll also tell you that break usually doesn't last as long as you think it will. For me, usually about half the time. Or less. So I thought I'd take a week, 10 days to not write. Day 5 and I'm squirrely. O-K.)

There are projects I want - need - to get to work on. Yesterday's RWAC meeting kind of drove that home - there's nothing like spending an afternoon with a group of writers to get you pumped for what's next and to generate ideas (especially the chat that happens after the meeting is officially over...) So today *should* be the last day for me to fritter time on "odd jobs" work-wise. Tomorrow I will be looking at increasing word count once again.

Incidentally, there's a Male On Monday post over at the PHS that fits in with the book I'm reading. :-)

Now I'm off to call the accountant and cross more things off my list. But before I go, a shout out to Hazel whose e-mail I received yesterday and who made my weekend. Hazel and I met in Saskatoon when I did a workshop there what feels like EONS ago. And she reads this blog (which was what the note was about) and so Hazel, if you're reading this, thanks for the note and lovely thoughts! :-)

Check in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment