Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The longest part

I don't know about any of you other writers out there but for me the longest part of a book is between 25,000 and 40,000 words. Even at a steady 2000 a day - the word count I've set for myself and so far am keeping on pace with - the numbers seem to take so long to add up.

And the writing is slow. I feel like my subtext has flown out the window and I KNOW I'm missing layers. This is the hardest part for me. Perhaps because it's a balancing act. This is technically the middle to the end of the middle, if that makes sense. The reason why so many people say the middle sags is because sometimes it is hard to develop the relationship AND balance it with conflict AND keep interesting stuff happening. And yet, I can't just jump from chapter four to chapter nine or ten. Even if I wish I could.

This is the part of the book where the crows of doubt make their social calls. This is also the part where you fervently hope you've sent a chapter off to your CP and she will love it but inevitably it comes back with "this chapter is flat". And she'd be right.

However flat can be fixed. I just don't wanna.

The truth is, when I get to where I have been the last few days, which is hovering around the 30k mark, I just want to get moving. Enough of this stuff, let's get to revealing secrets and black moments and all the good stuff. And the truth is, you can't save all the good stuff for the end. Because you need the reader to fall in love right along with your heroine (or your hero) and so all that "stuff" in the middle has to be damn good.

The good news is, I AM starting chapter nine, and this IS a turning point where those things I mentioned will start happening. In fact, I realized that this book will have two separate black moments, one for the hero and one for the heroine. Sometimes they happen separately and sometimes together. But the hero's biggest fear as far as the heroine is concerned is coming up pretty quick and I'm damned excited about it.

Which means hopefully the next week and a half will mean finishing the book - I have four chapters left to write (or approximately 16k). Which will also leave me 7 working days to edit and write the synopsis.

Fingers crossed nothing goes sideways as I race to the end.

Last night I gobbled up Liz Fielding's The Bride's Baby as my next read. TOTALLY gorgeous story and several "Why Can't I write Like That" moments.

Speaking of...it's the last reading I'll be doing for a while. A second round of revisions has hit again. And a deadline in 2 1/2 weeks. Into the cave I go.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Donna!
    My mantra is don't get it right, get it written. I have to constantly repeat that to myself, otherwise I would revise it to death and not write any new words. That book is going to be great!

    LindaC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:04 PM

    Hi Donna

    I agree, that 25-40k mark is so hard, but the bit from 40k onwards gets so exciting! Good luck with staying on track to get it finished soon, and enjoy delving into those revisions :)

    Soraya

    ReplyDelete