Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wasted Hearts, and a little respect

School was canceled yet again. Apparently the roads are very slippery and there is rain and freezing rain forecast for the day. I dunno. Maybe I just haven't been out on the roads so I'm skeptical. But it feels very springlike outdoors and there have been a LOT of snow days this year that have little to do with, well, snow.

Anyway, the twenty-odd handmade valentines each of my kids made for today are now sitting in backpacks and I am assuming that they will be handed out etc. on Monday as tomorrow is a PD day. That's right. No school until Monday.

In the words of Daffy Duck - what a way to run a railroad.

The last few nights my winding-down hour or so has been spent rewatching the first four episodes of Battlestar Galactica's final season. I've long been in awe of the writing on this show. And maybe it's a tad bit of sentimentality on my part knowing this is the last season. But as I was watching the other night what struck me was the commitment.

I have a lot of respect for Ron Moore. Not only because I think he's a writing genius, but because I think he put together a show, and a crew, and a cast, with great thought and respect for them. Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) said the first time she did a scene with Ron he thanked her when it was over, and what a rarity that was.
I think a good part of the reason why the show is a success is because Ron knew the secret. Surround yourself with good people. He did that. People that were excited and committed and then he fostered it. You can see it, in the performances, in the camera work, in the set design. In the way the cast and crew speak of the show.




A few moments in particular of recent seasons have stuck with me. The first being Lee Adama's monologue at the trial. When he finishes and says incredulously, "That's justice!" and then quieter, "Well not to me. Not to me." It is a brilliant moment.




There are other moments this season that I will only allude to because some people here might not have seen them yet. But one is the development with Dee in the season opener. Kandyse McClure's character was under the radar in a lot of episodes. Steady, always there, playing a more pivotal role than she got credit for. And she pulled out all the stops in her performance in Sometimes a Great Notion.

And in the latest episode, when Roslin is responding to Tom Zarek from the baseship. Roslin is scary in this moment. She is passionate with absolutely nothing to lose. More importantly - and I saw this on the second viewing, check out Six (Tricia Helfer) in the background and her reaction to Laura's words. Laura's got the cylons fired up. Six is ready to roll. If you don't mind being spoiled....here's the clip.




Why does this get to me so personally? Because when I watch, what I see is a group of people always giving their best work, and then trying to make it even better. They believe in what they are doing and they have great leadership.

I'm gonna miss it when it's gone.

1 comment:

  1. What's up with all the school cancellations? Youngest home AGAIN. But, the roads were very bad - car couldn't be taken so off to the bus for the oldest to get to last day of univ. before break.

    ReplyDelete