Thursday, January 01, 2009

For Aspiring Authors (and readers)

I just sent out my newsletter - if you are signed up but didn't receive it, I do have several undeliverable notifications in my inbox, so check your subscription...and if you're not signed up, now's a good time as I have a contest running for newsletter subscribers only. There's a sign up box on the right sidebar.

My other contest this month is for those of you seeking publication in romance. The winner will get a partial critique from me as well as being able to pick my brain for the remainder of the year.

Here's what you do - send me a pitch of a finished story or a work in progress. The pitch should only be a few short paragraphs long. Of the pitches, I'll pick five and ask for the first chapter. Then I'll pick one winner to send me their partial for critique.

You can send your pitches to donna@donnaalward.com.

7 comments:

  1. Great contest, chickie! That sounds like a lot of fun!

    I am determined to make 2009 really count. This is going to be the year of projects completed (and hopefully all sold!!). Other than that, not too many resolutions here. They never seem to last, after all. :P

    Besides, a wedding and new house are going to keep me busy enough. Throw in writing, and, well, I don't think I'm going to have time for much else!

    Here's to a highly productive 09!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna - that sounds like quite a contest. Will the deadline be the 31st of Jan, then?

    It sorta sounds like you're putting yourself out there as a mentor. Would that be the term? I've heard of mentors but don't really know whether it's a process or just a name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Donna,

    Is there a deadline because I'm going to get my pitch ready? I want in, I want in. :-)And whoever wins, thanks so much for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it okay for the pitch to have 3 short paragraphs? Your website says two, your blog says a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice, sure. A couple or three...it doesn't matter either way. Mostly I just didn't want people sending whole synopses. :-) Just a quick summary that hopefully reaches out and grabs me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great contest Donna!! How long do we have to polish up, Donna?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx Donna.

    I sent mine in early, and now that i'm thinking about it, was it too early?

    Nini

    ReplyDelete