Monday, January 19, 2009

Exsanguinating

Ok, so I know the title of today's blog is a little quirky, but you'll get it in a moment.

I have taken a slight wrong turn in the WIP. Ok, a big wrong turn but I JUST made it so it's not like I have to backtrack that far. Really, half a chapter, with some remodeling of the beginning of chapter 10. It could be much worse. Though on a tight deadline, it's much more preferable for things to go tickety boo and you don't have to stop or worse, back pedal. Oh well. It's my own fault.

I spent the weekend NOT working but doing a lot of thinking and chatting back and forth with my CP. Of course she will use any method in her arsenal to reinforce her input so imagine my laughter when I visited her blog this morning and read:

Turning points should change characters and their relationships... And I know with my own writing -- I may know the concept and good practice, but then why don't I apply them? Why do I like being nice to be my characters? Sometimes there is a temptation to not want to bleed.

OK! I give up! I get it. LOL

The thing is she's right, and there is nothing more frustrating than knowing you know better and yet somehow still falling into traps. (Actually, there is ONE thing more frustrating, and that's knowing something isn't right but you can't put your finger on WHAT so therefore can't fix it.) Anyway, that's what I've done. I've taken a couple of the most elementary concepts and buggered them up. One: I took a turning point, but didn't make anything turn. It should have progressed the relationship. It should have changed things and it didn't.

Why did I do this? Because I was also breaking rule number two - I MUST BLEED ON THE PAGE.

Now do you get the title?

We know we have to do it, so why do we fight it? Of course we don't REALIZE we're doing it until after we've skimmed the surface and missed the opportunity. Which, for a group of writers that considers itself fairly enlightened, makes us pretty daft. But we're human. We don't like pain, and we do feel the emotions of our characters. So tearing their world apart is painful.

In an effort to avoid this, I missed the opportunity to develop the romantic relationship. I mean, before you tear up someone's life, you really need to give them more to lose. So you have to give them that HOPE that things are going to somehow work. They have to have more at stake. Then when you take it away, it should be gut wrenching.

So, I'm going back and reconstructing chapter ten, moving the relationship forward, building them up so I can rip their hearts out later. You know it might be easier if I were a bit of a sadist rather than a romantic!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely needed to hear this today! I'm in the middle of making some plot changes and needed this reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating, but I think all that really matters is that we get there in the end.

    Have fun opening your veins. And don't forget--cold water for bloodstains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, you're so lovely.

    For me, the bloodletting is the best bit about writing! I think someone must have been mean to me in a former life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL the funny thing, when I bleed on the page, I usually end up crying but that lets me know it's GOOD. I don't know why I subconsciously fight it so much. maybe that's why writing the last few chapters with a glass of wine on hand (obviously at night and not first thing in the morning) works so well...give me some vino and I forget to hold back.

    ReplyDelete