Saturday, December 13, 2008

In the Doghouse - And Guilty Pleasures

I'm busily getting ready to draw the grand prize winner......but until then, you HAVE to see this. My husband sent it to me and I laughed my butt off. My husband is a VERY smart man.

http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/video.aspx

What's your husband/significant other getting YOU this Christmas?

My critique partner, Michelle Styles, also recently did a post on Guilty Pleasures, or those little indulgences we love. I'm a big fan of indulgence. Don't get me wrong, I love a day at the spa with massages and pampering (in fact I'm having a facial next week!) but it doesn't require anything so time consuming or expensive. It's all about finding pleasure in little things.

So here are my top 7 favourite things to indulge in:

1) A glass of heart-healthy red wine. Sitting back in my comfy chair after a day of writing, housework and being mom and wife, there's nothing better than to just say AHHHHH and sip away. If I sit down with a glass of wine it's an automatic message that you cannot demand more of me on this particular day.

2) A jacuzzi bath. Not one I indulge in on a daily basis, but I do love my new jetted tub. Very often I combine it with my indulgence number three....

3) Reading. It's the double edged sword of all writers. You write write write and do whatever else is required of you and suddenly your time bank for reading has dwindled to pittance. Being a woman and a natural multi tasker, I combine reading with the jacuzzi tub quite often. I couldn't in a regular tub, I was never comfortable. But the way my tub is built, I have natural elbow rests and a neck pillow which is FANTASTIC.

4) Chocolate. I'm not indulging in this as much as I used to. Not sure why. But give me a dark chocolate truffle and I'm automatically a happier person.

5) A walk in the woods. This costs absolutely nothing. And the beauty is, I don't have to go far. In fact we are in a wooded area so even our community will do. I love the smells, I love the sounds. It is like being in a different world. Grass and leaves and the musty, earthy scent of damp ground. Birds in the trees, or the way different species' leaves make different sounds in the breeze. Poplar leaves tinkle. Maples shhhh and oaks rustle. I always come back rejuvenated, unless it's happened to start raining part way through, which is unfortunately quite common living so close to the coast!

6) Girly afternoons. I absolutely love hot cocoa and cookies, or lemonade and popcorn, and cuddling on the couch with my girls for a girlie movie. As they get older the movies just get better and better. We're mostly out of animated ones now. Sometimes we'll also paint our toenails or I'll braid their hair. No boys allowed!

7) and number seven...I can't leave my husband out. And one of my favourite things to do with him is go out on our deck and listen to the frogs (in the summer) and look at the stars. No kids, no jobs, no phone (hopefully). Just us. It makes me feel glad to be alive.

What do you do for special indulgences, to rejuvenate yourself?

4 comments:

  1. THAT FILM IS INSPIRED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clip is so funny!

    Ooh, I love the spa too. I go about 2 - 3 times a year, usually for the massage package. LOL I'm already anticipating one of their gift cards come Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, when you say guilty pleasures, I think of it as something you like that you actually do feel guilty admitted you have or like. :) So reading or chocolate, love those, but never feel guilty after. (Though maybe one should if it's enough chocolate, but still, it's tough. LOL). My true guilty pleasure, that I can't believe I'm going to admit, is I do have a couple Brittany Spears mp3. Hate admitting that. LOL Have them because I kind of like them and all. . . just never actually want people knowing. ;)

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding? I love Womanizer. Even if it is Britney.

    ReplyDelete