Monday, September 22, 2008

Book Blogs, CP's, and hot guys

Welcome back to "Why I love my critique partner, part 100,002."

My CP Michelle organized this year's AMBA event and I really wish I could have attended. Taking the time...and the money...for a lunch isn't something I can do every year though, and I had to miss it. Afterwards Michelle went home to a computer that blew up and now she needs a new router from her ISP. So she's been offline...just when I got my new cover and am struggling with revisions and miss her lots. Meanwhile she is probably feverishly working on her own revisions without internet (or CP) interruption.

Of course she knows how I miss her, and when I got back from my morning walk after the school bus, there was a lovely message on my voice mail from her. I CAN'T BELIEVE I missed her call! Dammit! Why did she call? To give me a pep talk.

I cannot imagine writing without her. I really can't. Even though we only read each other's first drafts, we bounce ideas off each other, crack the whip or offer a shoulder - whichever is needed.

I hope she's back online soon!

In the meantime, pop on over to the Pink Heart Society today - I'm blogging Male on Monday and it's all about Canadian boys- part 2 since part 1 seemed to be missing a few faces. Today there are more birthday surprises at the Pink Heart too so it's worth a look.

And now, for my book blog 41 - Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson.

My daughters got this book as a present. They had already read Anne Of Green Gables, I've read all the Anne books and we have the movies as well, so they were quite keen.
If you're looking for LM Montgomery's voice you won't find it here. But it IS well written and enjoyable. A few things that drew me out of the story were POV changes..we'd be in a main character's POV and then suddenly two or three lines in a minor characters and then back again.
The other thing is that this book is actually very positive when you expect the story of Anne's early life to be tragic and sad. On one hand I understand completely why this was necessary. No one would want to read a book that was so dark. And yet...it disturbed me that Anne loved Mr. Thomas rather than being horrified that he beat his wife. I don't know. I enjoyed the book but there were times when it didn't feel quite right. The girls really enjoyed it as well and now want to read Anne of Avonlea as our next bedtime book. They are reading chapter books themselves now, but somehow the tradition of reading aloud is still going strong. I'm really going to miss it when we stop.

A good job but when it comes down to brass tacks, I'll take LM's sparkling characterization any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment